Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,418

1 members and 2,417 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

My little Ball Python homie

So I just got my little G about 4 days ago and he's doing really good from what I can see. He hides 97% of the time and he switches between his tree trunk on the left side and his rock hide spot that's over a heat pad. The ambient temperature is usually about 79-82 F throughout the whole cage. The temp over the heat pad is about 95-100. I probably need more accurate thermometers though, it's just one that came with a deluxe cage set. The cage is about 2 feet wide, maybe a little less, and about a ft tall. I fed him for the first time two nights ago, and he spent a little while on his heat pad on his rock hide, but now he's been in his tree trunk for about 12+ hours. I figured he wouldn't move much after a meal, but is it normal for him to be under his cool hide spot for so long? Especially after a meal. And the temperatures dip a few degrees at night since the windows can get pretty cold. He has two water bowls that he can't really fit in, but I saw somewhere that a healthy Ball won't soak anyway? I sometimes cover the top screen with a wet towel, probably covers about 70-80%, too much? And I spray the cage about 2-3 times a day. I try to keep the humidity at 55-70%. I also fed him in his cage since he's a really calm snake and he knows I go in there for more than just feeding. Hasn't striked at me once. Always flicking his tongue when he's wandering(which is rare). But anyway, what do you guys think? Any advice on how I can make my little guy more comfy? Sorry if the writing is random here, but hopefully you get the overall gist of what I'm dealing with. I also forgot to say that I just switched his hide box, it was a rock, but I thought it was a little to big on the inside, so I switched to this noodle carton, not the cup of noodles one, it's bigger. I don't see a way to post a pic of the cage.

Thanks

Re: My little Ball Python homie

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan623 View Post
    So I just got my little G about 4 days ago and he's doing really good from what I can see. He hides 97% of the time and he switches between his tree trunk on the left side and his rock hide spot that's over a heat pad. The ambient temperature is usually about 79-82 F throughout the whole cage. The temp over the heat pad is about 95-100. I probably need more accurate thermometers though, it's just one that came with a deluxe cage set. The cage is about 2 feet wide, maybe a little less, and about a ft tall. I fed him for the first time two nights ago, and he spent a little while on his heat pad on his rock hide, but now he's been in his tree trunk for about 12+ hours. I figured he wouldn't move much after a meal, but is it normal for him to be under his cool hide spot for so long? Especially after a meal. And the temperatures dip a few degrees at night since the windows can get pretty cold. He has two water bowls that he can't really fit in, but I saw somewhere that a healthy Ball won't soak anyway? I sometimes cover the top screen with a wet towel, probably covers about 70-80%, too much? And I spray the cage about 2-3 times a day. I try to keep the humidity at 55-70%. I also fed him in his cage since he's a really calm snake and he knows I go in there for more than just feeding. Hasn't striked at me once. Always flicking his tongue when he's wandering(which is rare). But anyway, what do you guys think? Any advice on how I can make my little guy more comfy? Sorry if the writing is random here, but hopefully you get the overall gist of what I'm dealing with. I also forgot to say that I just switched his hide box, it was a rock, but I thought it was a little to big on the inside, so I switched to this noodle carton, not the cup of noodles one, it's bigger. I don't see a way to post a pic of the cage.

The heat pad is way too hot; are you using a thermostat to regulate the heat? From what I read it doesn't sound like it and you're risking your snake getting burned or worse. Turn it off until you get one.

Your snake needs two hides; one on the cool side and one on the warm side so it can choose which one it needs to go to. Our snakes will often move from one to the other during the day.

None of our snakes soak; the only time one did was the pied shortly after we brought him home. Turns out he had mites

For now turn off the under tank heat pad until you get a thermostat to regulate the heat.
    1.0 Trick Pinstripe (Loki)
    0.1 Firefly Axanthic (Oreo)
    1.0 VPI Black Satin Black Pastel (Sneaky)
    1.0 Pied (Spot)
    0.1 Normal (Fatty)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Bumble)
    1.0 Pastel Genetic Stripe. (Ozzy)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stormy For This Useful Post:

blbsnakes (01-02-2016),Leviathan623 (01-02-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    The heat pad is way too hot; are you using a thermostat to regulate the heat? From what I read it doesn't sound like it and you're risking your snake getting burned or worse. Turn it off until you get one.

Your snake needs two hides; one on the cool side and one on the warm side so it can choose which one it needs to go to. Our snakes will often move from one to the other during the day.

None of our snakes soak; the only time one did was the pied shortly after we brought him home. Turns out he had mites

For now turn off the under tank heat pad until you get a thermostat to regulate the heat.
    When I put the thermometer on the head pad, it read in the low 90s. It didn't get to 100. And when I feel it over the substrate, it definitely doesn't felt hot enough to burn. It's just warm. I was almost certain it wasn't warm enough. Especially since it can get kinda cold in here since I live in Idaho.

Thanks

And he was never soaking in his water bowl, if you were under that impression. I know that's bad, but he's never shown any signs of being too warm.

Thanks

When I put the thermometer on the head pad, it read in the low 90s. It didn't get to 100. And when I feel it over the substrate, it definitely doesn't felt hot enough to burn. It's just warm. I was almost certain it wasn't warm enough. Especially since it can get kinda cold in here since I live in Idaho.

Your snake will burrow under the substrate and end up getting burned if the heat pad it not regulated by a thermostat. Do a google search for burned ball python; it's not pretty. I had a friend who didn't know any better and his kid's ball python died from laying on an unregulated heat pad.

And if if it feels warm to you it could be too hot for your snake; please unplug it until you get a thermostat.

I live in Illlinois and we get cold here too.
    1.0 Pied (Spot)
    0.1 Normal (Fatty)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Bumble)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stormy For This Useful Post:

Leviathan623 (01-02-2016)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Make sure you are taking the temperature in the correct location, this would be UNDER the substrate.
    If your heat mat is unregulated we all know its well over 95 degrees.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Leviathan623 (01-02-2016),Stormy (01-02-2016)

Thanks

I put the thermometer directly on the heat pad and it said 96. With the substrate over it, it read about 90-92. So should I turn it off until I get a new one? I don't wanna burn him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Your snake will burrow under the substrate and end up getting burned if the heat pad it not regulated by a thermostat. Do a google search for burned ball python; it's not pretty. I had a friend who didn't know any better and his kid's ball python died from laying on an unregulated heat pad.

And if if it feels warm to you it could be too hot for your snake; please unplug it until you get a thermostat.

I live in Illlinois and we get cold here too.
    Thanks for telling me. I honestly feel really stupid for not having a thermo stat in the first place. I thought I had adequate research, but I guess not quite. I assumed a reptile heating pad would be at good settings by default. But I guess that's not a good way to think, since different reptiles have different basking temps anyway. I will have a thermostat in a day or two.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leviathan623 For This Useful Post:

das_nooblet (01-02-2016),Stormy (01-02-2016)

Thanks

I put the thermometer directly on the heat pad and it said 96. With the substrate over it, it read about 90-92. So should I turn it off until I get a new one? I don't wanna burn him.
    Yes, turn it off until you get a thermostat to regulate it. You don't need a new heat pad; you just need to regulate the one you have.

Please turn it off before your snake burrows under the substrate and gets burned.

Take a look at Pit on the Prowl's picture on the correct set up.
    1.0 Pied (Spot)
    0.1 Normal (Fatty)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Bumble)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stormy For This Useful Post:

Leviathan623 (01-02-2016)

Thanks

Do you think he's okay? He sat on the heat pad under his warm hide for a majority of the time the past few days. How long until he would have burned himself? My thermometer was reading 98 at max on the heat pad. Is that really dangerous? Is that why he's staying in his tree trunk on the cool side now?