Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,812

0 members and 2,812 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Thinking about switching to a baby green anaconda...

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
    I just want to put more emphasis on the two people per giant snake handling rule. My husband transported venomous snakes from the airport as a job. When he had to handle a burm, he got a buddy. Who was not me. I'm simply not big enough to manhandle a cranky burm. Apparently it had to be sent to a zoo. It broke its enclosure. It's healthy and happy in a zoo, Not all snakes are that lucky.

Just picture having to explain to the neighbors that dogs cats and small children need to be kept inside until further notice because a chicken eating snake is missing. Not cool.
    Most anacondas aren't any larger than a retic. The issue here is not the presence of a large snake, its the experience level of the keeper. Plenty of us keep large snakes safely and healthy, but have the level of experience to do so properly.

Thanks
    Sorry bout that. Was just hoping to reinforce having a buddy system in place. Hopefully the buddy would have the experience lacking in the op. Wasn't quite sure on size of the anaconda so I went with what I do have some experience with. As in I know enough not to do it!

So bout the size of a retic, length and girth wise?

Thanks

Re: Thinking about switching to a baby green anaconda...

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
    Sorry bout that. Was just hoping to reinforce having a buddy system in place. Hopefully the buddy would have the experience lacking in the op. Wasn't quite sure on size of the anaconda so I went with what I do have some experience with. As in I know enough not to do it!

So bout the size of a retic, length and girth wise?
    No worries! While anacondas are a thicker bodied snake, male retics will routinely achieve a longer overall length than a male anaconda. Female anacondas and female retics tend to be about the same size I believe, depending on genetics. Nevertheless all are giants and need to be handled appropriately. You are right about the buddy system. Once you get a snake over about 7-8 ft a second person is definitely necessary. Im a big guy and I still feel safer having a second person around when handling giants.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234