Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,862

2 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Help me talk him out of it

I have a dilemma. My roommate loves snakes, which is great. It has allowed me to slowly get back into keeping them. Then he brought a rather terrifying question the other day about how he would go about getting himself a, female green anaconda, specifically. He went on and on about how he's always wanted one since he was a kid. I have nothing against owning larger snakes but I have never had a drive to obtain one, especially an anaconda. Boas have always been the largest I have personally been comfortable with and I leave the retics and berms for my uncle.

This is where my dilemma comes from. My roommate likes snakes but I can't even get him to hold my 2 foot baby royal. I mean granted he's a little on the nippy side but he's a baby. My roommate is still terrified of touching him and being bit. If he somehow finds a way to get his hands on an anaconda, guess who's getting herself an anaconda? Because I guarantee he won't touch it. I'll be the one to take care of it, etc.

I've tried so hard to talk him out of it but he shuts down and doesn't want to hear it. He sees people on the Internet with nice calm greens on the camera, so he for some reason assumes that's the way it will always be. I've been researching husbandry and keeping anacondas so I can try to combat him with facts and that he may be getting in over his head with this and hoping to all that is holy that he doesn't somehow get his hands on one. I'm hoping he gets himself a corn or something instead. Or that he'll get over a baby snake bite and start handling the one he already lives with. Baby steps. I don't thing anyone should jump head first to an anaconda but he believes he will have time to learn as it grows. Even so... how to I talk him out of this? I've been nice I've been harsh I've been logical. He can barely take care of his dog. I'd hate to place an anaconda in his hands. I'm not big on rehoming pets if I can help it but if he ends up with one and I'm the one to care for it alone I am worried that I won't be able to handle her when she's grown. Not a smart move and I will rehome her myself if I must. I'd like to skip that step altogether. Help. How do you talk people out of this when their mind is set?

Thanks

Re: Help me talk him out of it

You never know I wouldn't touch snakes unless some one else did first and was always scared of them biting but hanging around with my friends reticulated python and burm j got really used to them and now have about 20 snakes

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Very true. I mean I feel terrible about it. My whole life people have tried to talk me out of snakes. When I kept RTBs, before I got them people always tried to talk me out of it. Mostly non snake people about how they're not real pets and not a proper pet for a lady etc. I just want to see him make the effort. I feel so uneasy about him getting one because whenever I have my royal out and he's not being a cantankerous butt I offer him to my roommate to hold all the time but he shys away from it. He thinks the snake needs to warm up to him first. I tell him the snake can't do that if he can't smell you and you don't hold him. I can only see him buying an anaconda thinking it's cool and then ignoring it, not feeding it, cleaning up its environment. Too afraid to touch it. I take care of his late wife's dog for the very same reasons. He's emotional distraught and the king of bad decisions. I feel an anaconda right now would be one of them.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hmmm...

Take the dog, (and your Royal) and move!
    This doesn't sound like it will end well.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

HospiceNHeartsRN (08-22-2015),Megg (09-06-2015),RhodaDiane (10-11-2015),wolfy-hound (08-22-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    So he wants to go from no snakes to a anaconda?

Maybe find an adult, a big one, and get him around it. Seeing it in person can be eye opening. That would also let him see the size of cage that will be needed which is going to be another issue.

It wont be a baby long and if he cant hold a nippy BP he has no business with a anaconda.

Also check your local restrictions. That may put an end to it as well.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (08-22-2015),GoingPostal (08-24-2015),Megg (09-06-2015),RhodaDiane (10-11-2015)

Thanks

That's actually a very good idea. If a tiny baby royal can scare him off maybe seeing a grown anaconda would cure him... or make him want one more. He has seen a large berm before and thought she was amazing (mostly because she was) but you better believe he ran when her enclosure was opened up. YouTube videos are just not the same. I've brought up the possible restrictions in Oregon but I haven't checked them officially. Someone recently had a female green on Craigslist they were trying to rehome. I believe that if he truly wanted one he would find a way to get one. And I do plan on moving eventually. I'm a freelancer in various feilds and I want to move closer to the Seattle area. I'm just hoping I won't be rehoming/smuggling an anaconda with me when that time comes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Check your local ordinances first. The easiest way to shut him down would be "It's illegal".

IF it's legal, show him what size enclosure it would need. Make CERTAIN you make it clear that if he gets it, HE has to handle it and clean it and feed it because you WILL NOT. Not waffling about how you'll "have to". He has to. Tell him if he can't handle and clean your BP for a month, he obviously has no business getting a anaconda now.

He might eventually make a good giant keeper, but right now, he sounds a lot like he's letting you be his enabler and as long as you're there and willing to take care of the pets, why should he bother? He can buy them or keep them and you'll do the work because you want to see the pets get proper care.

If he says he's getting one anyway, I'd find somewhere else to live and MOVE. Sooner or later, he's going to cause a serious issue if he ends up with a giant and no ability to handle it. It will only take one instnace of not latching a cage door and then you'll have serious issues because neighborhoods do not easily forgive loose giant snakes. Poor press all around.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

John1982 (08-22-2015),Tash (08-22-2015)

Thanks

First order of buisness then. I'll look it up and see what it says. I am fairly certain he couldn't afford it right now which is another saving grace. And you're totally right. I've told him that I will NOT be taking care of it but I think he knows that I will break down. I can't help it, and he's known me for too long.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    HOA?
    Do you rent?
    Even if ok with a dog and other pets, you might be able to get the landlord to put his/her foot down on the idea - "Dangerous" animal, and all that.

It has been a long time since I checked a home insurance policy, but there might be some applicable restrictions there.

Thanks
    Perhaps show him the bites from an adult anaconda or a similarly sized snake, such as a retic (here's a nice example-- 25 stitches and $17,641 in medical bills from a 17-footer)? It's silly for him to think he'd be immune from the anaconda's bites. If he's inexperienced to begin with, that probably jacks up the likelihood far more, even if the possibility is always present no matter how calm the snake. Maybe tell him that to even consider it he should build up from the basics-- even the smallest of which have teeth, and if he can't handle that, there's no room for a snake in his life!
    1.0 Normal BCI - "Inca"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa - "Samara"
    1.0 Mojave Ball Python - "Kuzco"
    1.0 Normal Ball Python - "Quetzalcoatl"
    1.0 High-Yellow Leopard Gecko - "Rożek"

Considering for the near future: IJ carpet and corn snake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast