Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,763

1 members and 2,762 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Condas are nasty snakes. If you really want to make that change, prepare yourself for the smell, dirt and attitude. They grow fast and they grow big, so for the higher maintenance expenses as well. They're interesting and gorgeous animals, but if you don't have a longer time keeper experience with other snakes, you can have a painful and short adventure. Don't need to rush if It's something what you must build up from the foundation. Keep more snakes near your ball first. Carpets, GTP-s, Bc-s, Bloods, etc... (or even a Burm if you want anyway something big.) Get experience before the giants.
    Last edited by Felidae; 01-01-2016 at 10:34 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Felidae For This Useful Post:

Reinz (01-02-2016)

Thanks
    This seems like a bad idea to me. There's a huge difference between a ball python and an anaconda! I think you need experience with a large snake, first. If a ball isn't for you, go for some type of boa. My second type of snake was a brazilian rainbow boa. She's going to grow to a nice size and she's wonderful but there's no way I could go bigger than her. I had been thinking of getting a much larger boa and I'm so glad I didn't now!

I've also seen the messes a big snake can make. Ew. I could not handle that! There's a thread on here somewhere about it. I'll see if I can find it.

I think you should go to the show tomorrow and look at the snakes. Don't get anything, just look and ask questions. An anaconda is a HUGE investment and you need to make sure you're ready for it. Don't jump into it.

**found it!!**

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...u-want-a-retic
    Last edited by hazzaram; 01-01-2016 at 10:59 PM.
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks
    Awesome advice gang. Keep it coming.

Thanks
    How fast do the baby green anaconda grow. What can I expect my baby ball to be in 2 years vs an anaconda at 2 years

Thanks
    I just went and read through your other posts. Have you even gotten the baby ball to eat yet? I don't think you should give up on him/her and I certainly wouldn't rehome until it's eating and has taken a few meals. Passing it off to a breeder at the expo when it's still not eating is only going to stress it out more. I think you need to get the little one back on track before even thinking of rehoming it... Unless you already have gotten it eating.
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks
    Yes. He's eating. Only live mice though. Won't eat the f/t

Thanks
    This is a horrible idea. You have had one ball python for a couple weeks. You absolutely do not have the experience and knowledge for a green anaconda.

And what would happen if you suddenly get bored of the anaconda? What are you going to do? Switch it out for a gaboon?

You can't just ditch one pet for another because you're "bored."
    1.0 Python regius (Marshmallow)
    0.1 Pantherophis guttatus (Prudence)
    0.1 Epicrates cenchria (Lily)
    1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Taco)
    0.1 Boa constrictor imperator (Valkyrie)
    0.1 Eryx colubrinus (Willow)
    0.1 Lampropeltis triangulum (Unnamed)
    0.0.1 Python reticulatus
    0.0.1 Morelia spilotes

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theoremofgoats For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-02-2016),GoingPostal (01-02-2016),PokeyTheNinja (01-07-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (01-02-2016)

Thanks

Re: Thinking about switching to a baby green anaconda...

The answer is no, you should not.

Big Snakes live decades, eat like horses, and poop prodigously. Anacondas get real big real fast. If you are looking to rehome a ball this quickly, you will be rehoming an anaconda very quickly as well. This is no easy task.

Anacondas are advanced snakes only.

I have the skills and ability to keep one, but I don't because it is too much work, too much food, and too much space. It is also illegal where I live

Many other common snakes are better choices.

I would suggest you consider not owning any of the long lived giant snakes, since they require dedication, resources, and a long attention span.

At your current place as a reptile keeper you are not ready for the commitment or the challenge.

I hope this does not hurt your feelings, it is not meant to. This is an appraisal of the demands of keeping such a large and potentially dangerous snake.

Anacondas are not good starter snakes. They are not even good intermediate snakes. Advanced only. After a decade or so of snake keeping, when you have experience with four or five species and can dedicate yourself to a giant, then maybe you should consider one.

Sincerely,

David

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nightrainfalls For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-02-2016),hazzaram (01-02-2016),Reinz (01-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Go to the zoo, specifically the reptile house. If they allow you to bring a folding chair bring one with you. Then go and find their big snakes and set up for the show. Over the next several hours observe and document how many times you see the big guys move.

Unless its feeding day I would put my money on seeing no movement at all.

When you are dealing with a snake that reaches the size an anaconda can it will be hard for most regular people to give it a home that it can really move around in anyways. If you are wanting a snake that is active and fun to watch there are plenty of good options out there but most large varieties are not going to give you that kind of show.

Snakes in the size range you are talking about require a large cage, eat large food items, and have large movements. Have you thought about what you will be feeding it once fully grown? What is available to you local? Can you afford ordering it if its not?

You also need to think about moving it and dealing with it outside of the cage. Are you going to be able to handle it yourself? If not, do you have a friend with snake experience that can help you?

You need to do a lot more research before you jump into this. Snakes can be like a puppy. Most all of them are cute when they are small but some can grow into real monsters.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

blbsnakes (01-02-2016),Felidae (01-02-2016),GoingPostal (01-02-2016),John1982 (01-02-2016),Reinz (01-02-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ball

I will be going to Scott smiths. If you want to give it up I will take it. I live right down the street from u also.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast