Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,208

2 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Thinking about switching to a baby green anaconda...

Quote Originally Posted by ArabianOak View Post
    1. I'm assuming the baby green anaconda will grow much much faster than the baby ball...how much faster?
    Too many factors and, all things equal, not all snakes grow at the same rate and reach the same adult size. Without power feeding, you're probably looking at anywhere from 3-4 feet of growth per year.

2. I'm assuming the baby green anaconda will be a little bit more active and feisty than the baby ball...do they move around more, are they much more feisty in general? How would someone compare from owning both?
    Not more active, probably even less active, but as a general rule they are more on the feisty side. If ball pythons are pet rocks, anacondas are just pet rocks that make you lose more blood when they get the hankering. One of my favorite hang out snakes were the anacondas because they'd simply sit for hours on end without feeling the need to move or explore. My royals are flitting hummingbirds in comparison.

3. Being a snake that swims and lives in a more humid climate, I am assuming I will need a small water area for the snake to swim when needed...I have also read I need to get a higher humidity for the green anaconda and slightly hotter temps...any thoughts on this?
    Unless you're going to take the time to completely change out the water daily, your better off going with a dry cage and small water dish. If you use a dish large enough to soak your anaconda will almost always relieve itself in the water. It's simply not healthy for them to soak/drink their own sewage. They're also prone to water blisters, probably from dirty water, so there's another point for a dry enclosure.

Anything else I need to know...is this a good idea/bad idea etc...Again, not trying to disrespect the baby ball, just want something with a little bit more character and action...
    Keep in mind that it's infinitely harder to find homes for large, aggressive snakes than most smaller species. They take up plenty of space and time. Many rescues are already full to the point that they have to refuse larger constrictors. Are you prepared to maintain this animal with the care and dedication it deserves even if you decide down the road that it's not your cup of tea anymore? There's the very real possibility that you will not find someone willing to take it off your hands.

That said, I'm a fan of Eunectes and have kept both a yellow and green in the past. The yellow was produced by a pair of established imports while the green was, if memory serves, second generation captive bred. My advice, if after weighing all things carefully you still decide to go forward with an anaconda, is to find at least a second generation animal. You'll have a much better chance at a calmer adult. Oh yeah, on a scale of 1-10, their musk ranks an 11 in the skunky category. I hope you like stinky hands because it almost feels like an involuntary reaction with these. Even on good days, which were often enough, I would usually get musked while handling.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

blbsnakes (01-02-2016),distaff (01-02-2016),Felidae (01-02-2016),KMG (01-02-2016),Reinz (01-02-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (01-02-2016)