Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,860

0 members and 2,860 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Shara and her frog

I just got 5 of them, and I am told that they are incompatible. The species are 1 yellow lab (labidochromis)
    1 aratus
    1 kenyii
    1 rusty cichlid
    and 1 albino zebra
    K, I was wondering if you could ask your cichlid-having friend for any advice on whether or not these guys can successfully be mixed. I really do not want to take anyone back to the store if I don;t have to, but the aratus in particular seens to be getting overly aggressive to the others. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!!
    Anyone else, please chime in too if you have exp. with malawi cichlids.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks
    Hmm cichlids are very aggressive- some more than others. Did the place you purchased them from tell you they were incompatible? If not, that was mighty irresponsible of them. If so, I dont know that I would have bought them knowing this unless I could house them separately. Usually, when you go to pet stores, and you see many different tanks with cichlids, the reason they are not mixed is exactly as you have been told, incompatible. The only suggestion I have at this point, you need a HUGE tank, and plenty of places for the less aggressive ones to hide from the others. They may settle down eventually, but dont be surprised if you find a few dead ones. I love cichlids, but this is why I dont keep them, cant have all the species I like together and no space for that many tanks.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    The pet store did not tell me that they were incompatible. I found this out after the fact, on one of the fishy message boards (Aquaria Central.)
    You would think I'd have known not to listen to pet store people, keeping herps and all, but I guess I got fooled. I plan on bringing back the more aggressive of the fishes (the aratus) and trading him for a second fish of the species I like (yellow lab) that is more docile.
    I love these fish; the way they creep along in the water, how they have such bright coloration. I am especially fond of the yellow lab. Anyone who is not compatible with him would have to go.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.