Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

1 members and 3,221 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

So, quick question

In the two and a half years of owning snakes actually owning them not catching a wild snake and releasing it again...

Ive never actually seen one defecate.
    The question is, do ball pythons curl their tails upward when about to defecate?

My lesser male hatchling had it curled upward a bit ago, and he definitely looked like he was grown in circumference around his end. His vent is clear he has no mites never been ill, eats like a freaking monster would, drinks regularly, hes alert, bright eyes, no stuck shed, is active at night for a few hours before going back to his multitude of hides hes got for options.

His hot area right now sits at 88 to 90, his cool area is usually a steady 78 to 82 and his humidity rests between 55 to 60. Hes on paper towel/paper bedding.

He has a UTH regulated by a thermostat (a cheap one i got as a second hander from my local python breeder) and right now due to my room being cold enough to freeze balls off, he (and the boa who is also in a tank instead of tub) has a heat lamp as well. I use an infrared thermometer to measure the temps throughout the day and when i am not home to do it, my assistant does it and records the temps. I check temps every two hours. I dont doubt my thermostat but i like to take precautions.

My other snakes are great, happy i assume, alert beautiful and fat sassy punks. But they're in tubs.

Just wanting to know if they do it before defecating or if i should make a long drive to a vet. He has dropped a poo, and his tail isn't curled, but in case this is something beyond that, i want to know :/ Casanova shouldn't be put at risk if this can be something bad.
    Or am i just an overly worried worry-wart?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    1.0 axanthic spider (Skull Kid)
    1.0 banana pastel (Pineapple)
    1.0 killerbee (ObiWan)
    1.0 Piebald 66% het hypo (Potato Ren)
    1.0 Mojave spider (Germany)
    1.0 cinnamon (Leia)
    1.0 calico blast (Kahlee Belle)
    0.1 normal (Joshelinne)
    0.1 yb het hypo(Osirus)
    0.1 Mojave (Mojo)
    0.1 caramel albino (Caramella)
    0.1.0 western hognose

Thanks
    Yea they curl their tail a bit before a turd. Without being there to see myself I can't say for sure if there is something wrong with your snake.

Thanks
    Snakes curl their tails when defecating, but they will also travel with their tails up, especially if the just crawled off on upper object. A raised tail wont be a good sign if anything is ever wrong unless he has an infection in that area of his body.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BCS For This Useful Post:

AllThatInThemGenes (12-22-2015)