Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

0 members and 3,136 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Stylish lighting and heating?

Hello,

Im new to BPs.. i dont have one yet, in the research and pricing stage of everything. Ive already decided that i want an exo-terra 36x18x18 tank. I know that the taller tank is harder to keep humid, but I feel bad keeping it in such a shallow tank, even knowing it doesnt need the exta vertical space. The problem I'm running into is that I am very conscious of the appearance of the enclosure. I dont want too many things hanging off of it that dont need to, or anything movable around it. This includes a dome light fixture. I find it to be very ugly and hoping to avoid using one if I can, and instead, using a tank canopy and a UTH.

My first pick is obviously exo-terra's compact, but its only rated to 4x 40 watt bulbs that sit horizontally in the fixture. Because this will be my only light source, it will probably need to be running night time bulbs full time as to not disturb the BP. If i need to figure out some way to do day and night bulbs on a cycle, that is also an option. Also note that I intend to get a herpstat 2 to help with controls/cycles etc.

Exo tera's night time 40 watt incandescent bulbs (blue) show that more than 8 inches away from the source, the bulb is only producing 68 degrees of heat (actually the 25w and 15w say the same temp). My question is, would 4 of these bulbs be sufficient at maintaining an 80 degree ambient temp, or is there any other way to make this setup work without needing a big ugly dome?
    Last edited by HanabiraAsashi; 12-15-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks

Re: Stylish lighting and heating?

I've got the solution! Just set up an Exo-Terra. For lighting I got a 20" LED fish tank light. Super low profile, and gives off just enough glow to be attractive. For heating I'm currently using a 60 watt CHE, but my Reptile Basics RHP and VE-100 T-stat have bee ordered. Humidity is an issue due to the large screen top. I covered about 2/3 with plexiglass, and use Eco Earth as substrate. My humidity is solid! Here's what it looks like now. I'll post an updated pic after the RHP install and when it comes out of my closet Christmas Eve for the rest of the family to enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks

The RHP will finish cleaning up the aesthetics plus further aid in keeping in humidity by closing off more open screen.

Thanks
    Interesting, I didnt know heat panels were an option. I like the idea of sticking with bulbs but I would be interested to see how it comes out.

btw, where did you get that cool background?

Thanks

Mine actually came with the pho-rock background. I have seen them for sale at various places while searching for supplies though.

The RHP I ordered, and found to be the safest/most purpose built is made by Reptile Basics.

Here's why I went the route I did...

Heating with lights is very inefficient, and will cost more in the long run. Plus they will zap your humidity faster than anything. To keep ambient temps up in the tank you described will likely require 2 60w bulbs that have to run 24/7. A CHE or RHP can/should be used with a T-stat. Therefore they won't be running at max capacity full time, and have a FAR longer life than a bulb. This equates to better heating, less power consumption, and no frequent bulb replacements which is all cash back in your wallet. It is more expensive up front though.

I added a UTH for a hot spot. This should also be run with a T-stat because running at max capacity they are too hot. A UTH will do nothing for ambient temps however. This is where the CHE, RHP, or light will come in.

For humidity, I chose Eco-Earth because cocoanut husk retains more moisture than other substrate without promoting mold growth. Cypress mulch is nice too. That big screen top will be the bane of your existence. You will ha e to cover a large portion of it to retain humidity.

Get your enclosure up and running, then tweak and play with it until all your temps/humidity are steady in the correct range before adding your snake. It'll save you both a heap of stress.

Thanks

I have the same tank, I use foil around card board to keep humidity. I don't have a problem with heat. I think it stays somewhere in the mid 70's with the ambient and a nice warm Hotspot. But I've found that if you give them the space to climb with they will. My BP climbs all the time. I used actual wood branches bleached then rinsed and dried for a day

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Will a lid with red or blue LED for lighting and a heating panel work? Not sure if those LED can be seen by the BP

Thanks

The LED I use is made for a fish tank, and has white LEDs for daytime, and blue for simulated moonlight should you choose to use them for night time observation. I've just been running the white 12 on 12 off without using the blue though. The LEDs put off no heat, and yes, the LEDs will work with an RHP. I'll shoot you a pic once mine comes in and is installed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Polyangler For This Useful Post:

HanabiraAsashi (12-16-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by That_One_New_Guy View Post
    I have the same tank, I use foil around card board to keep humidity. I don't have a problem with heat. I think it stays somewhere in the mid 70's with the ambient and a nice warm Hotspot. But I've found that if you give them the space to climb with they will. My BP climbs all the time. I used actual wood branches bleached then rinsed and dried for a day

What type of lighting/heating do you use?

Thanks

I have a UTH and I plan on getting some LED strip lighting go UT around the top edge of the tank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast