Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

1 members and 3,093 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Tub System

Thanks

Tub System

Hey Y'all,
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make an enclosure for my 5 month old ball python inside of a plastic tub?
    Can you list all the things I will need, such as heat source, the tub itself, etc.
    I am currently using a glass tank, but think it is pretty inadequate for humidity, even with the foil treatment, and it is way too large.
    Thanks,
    HenryTheSnake

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Tub + Secure Lid - I prefer a latchbox because the handles flip up to keep the lid on tightly so your BP doesn't take an unauthorized slither.

UTH + thermostat

Substrate - paper or aspen, cypress will probably be too humid. I use newspaper.

Hides, one for the cool side, one for the warm side, plus spares to swap when they get messed on. You can get commercial ones or make them out of anything, I find that used plastic food containers work once they've been run through the dishwasher and an access hole cut into them.

Water bowl + spare, for when your snake uses it as a toilet, put in the clean bowl and run the dirty one through the dishwasher.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

HenryTheSnake (12-14-2015)

Thanks
    Note on newsprint paper for a substrate - If you want to use that, go visit a local newspaper and ask if they have any 'end rolls' from their press. They probably have a web press, which uses large rolls of continuous newsprint paper to print. When a roll is almost done, they generally take it off the press and there's a remnant left on it - called an end roll. They frequently sell those, and they're just blank newsprint paper. I work for a newspaper, and I don't really recommend using printed material, simply because that ink is really pretty nasty - and it comes off on everything. One end roll will likely last you for quite a while, generally. That's what I use, and it works great for me.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

BruceWayne911 (12-15-2015),HenryTheSnake (12-14-2015)

Thanks

Re: Tub System

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Tub + Secure Lid - I prefer a latchbox because the handles flip up to keep the lid on tightly so your BP doesn't take an unauthorized slither.
    UTH + thermostat
    Thanks for replying with speed!
    Do you have a link to the tub/latchbox that would be ideal for a 5 month old ball python? Also, if I am using it is a standalone (not in a rack) where would I put the UTH, how big of a UTH, and what brand? And finally, what size Tub?

Thank you,
    HenryTheSnake

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I would go ahead and get a 28-qt Sterilite latchbox (google it). You can find them at WalMart or Target. It will be way oversized but you can clutter it up with a lot of hides and fake soft leafy plastic plants from a craft store and it will work for several years.

The UTH should cover about 1/3 of the surface, just put it on one side or the other.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

HenryTheSnake (12-15-2015)

Thanks

So it's ok to put a zoo med UTH on the bottom of a plastic tub? What is the max temperature I should let it get to as to not burn the tub? I of course won't let it get high enough to burn my snake though

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    set the thermostat high enough to make the inside surface of the tub 88-91degrees. u can measure with a thermometer (or a temp gun if u have one). unless there is a catastrophic failure, your thermostat would never reach a temp to melt the tub.

also here's a helpful thread on how to set-up your tub: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...e-Basics-*DUW*
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Hi i made this for someone a couple weeks ago:

My personal setup now (minus the rack i am building )

For one snake baby to juvenile:
    sterilite latch 15qt : $4
    Cut Plastic Bowl for hide: 3\$1
    Water Bowl (small heavy croc flat bottom): $1
    Kraft paper(substrate): 12in X 640ft $14
    1ft section of heat tape: $2.10 (if you want pre wired $7 reptile basics)
    Thermostat- ~$30 (hydrofarm) I dont use the hydrofarm but it is available
    Temp Gun- ~10

Total: $67!!

You will only be able to fit one hide and a water bowl in here but all mine have been fine. This is now my quarantine setup but worked as my actual enclosures for months. Dollar store is your friend when it comes to hides and water bowls.

And definitely be careful with the zoo med uth as it definitely can melt the tub. I ran one as an experiment unregulated to see if it is true and it definitely melted it. (no animals involved of course). I was thinking of using an old heat mat for my quarantine setup last week and wanted to test it and sure enough it failed, as in it got hot enough to melt the tub! I would think it will be fine on a tstat but be watchful anyway.
    Last edited by ItsAllNew2Me!; 12-15-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsAllNew2Me! For This Useful Post:

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HenryTheSnake View Post
    So it's ok to put a zoo med UTH on the bottom of a plastic tub? What is the max temperature I should let it get to as to not burn the tub? I of course won't let it get high enough to burn my snake though
    Inside floor surface area no more than 95 degrees to not burn your snake.
    The tub wont melt.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry i just reread my post and it wasn't exactly clear. The uth will run just fine on a tub and will not melt it if properly regulated. The test I ran was unregulated to see if it would actually get hot enough to do so. It was just to see the extreme heat these can get to when unregulated. If it can melt the tub it will kill your snake point blank. This was just me with time on my hands, and old heat mat, extra tub, and curiosity.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein