Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

0 members and 2,840 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a puppy

Thanks

Getting a puppy

So I've never owned a dog, but I've been doing tons of research and plan on getting everything I need in the next day or so. I am asking for any suggestions on stuff for new owners and to also see about getting more male names added to my current list. I love sci-fi and action movies, and I love naming my animals after movie/tv show characters. Here's what I have so far!

P.S. He is a border collie/Aussie mix and here's a pic of him as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hypnotixdmp; 12-13-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Ball Python
    0.2 Normals (Coilette and Mary Jane)
    1.0 Spider (Zues)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boa Constrictors
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Stella)
    0.1 BCI Hog Island (Kiyoko)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Gloria)
    1.1 Yellow Anaconda (Serenity and Diablo)
    0.1 Albino Common Northern Boa BCI (Pandora)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Make sure you get a proper collar and leash to teach him to walk on. Retractable leashes don't teach them to walk next to you.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (12-14-2015)

Thanks

Re: Getting a puppy

I picked out a harness and 5ft non retractable leash. How does that sound?

Ball Python
    1.0 Spider (Zues)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boa Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Gorgeous little guy. A few names that come to mind are, Neo, Hugo Stiglitz, or Ripley. I realize Ripley is a girl in the movie but it could just as easily be a boy name and most people will remember Ripley while the male characters like Dallas, Ash, or Kane don't stick in the mind as much.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 12-13-2015 at 09:24 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-13-2015)

Thanks
    If he's young and still getting his shots, be very sure not to take him around in public, and try to keep him away from areas that other dogs frequent. A huge mistake that many first-time dog owners make is wanting to take their puppy around and show it off. If you haven't already, look up Parvovirus. There doesn't have to be a dog that's infected present for your pup to catch it - until he's older and has all of his shots, he's extremely vulnerable. Just being around where an infected dog has been can infect him, and it's a horrible, horrible disease. Also, neutering is a fantastic thing. It decreases the long-term health risks of your dog, and reduces the likelihood of behavior problems down the road.

Can't think of any names like that. I tend to wait until I have the animal, then see what name seems to fit them. My Aussie mix, Pooka, is a mischievous trouble-maker - just like the Pooka of Gaelic mythology. Mouse, my BC mix, squeaks a lot. My lab, Wiley, came pre-named from a rescue... well, he started out as Willy, but I didn't care for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (12-13-2015)

Thanks
    You're in for quite an experience with that little guy! The best general advice I can give is to teach him what he should be doing rather than letting him have free reign with hopes of correcting what he shouldn't do. Dogs are very discerning, but awful at applying abstract thoughts. If he chews a shoe, and you scold him, he might think he can't chew that shoe, or he can't chew that shoe in the spot he was laying in when he was scolded, or (this is the worst) that he can't chew it in front of you - so he should hide and chew it in secret. It's MUCH easier to give him a chew toy and reward, reward, reward for using it.

You know the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie"? Yeah, that's because it was such hard work to get them there. And you have a million things to do that you couldn't do before because you had to have your full attention on the puppy. Aussies have TONS of energy. I am telling you this as an owner of a basset hound pup that runs me ragged. Make him earn everything he gets, and play with him until he passes out cold. For example, instead of giving him food in a bowl, get a toy that he has to roll around to release kibble. Another option is to portion off his regular meal, and then use that time to train him instead of feeding him dinner and then training with treats. Dogs get worn out by mental exercise like they do with physical exercise, so don't skimp on working his puppy brain.

As far as resources go, check out kikopup on Youtube. She's got tons of training videos up that are very helpful and easy to learn.

Name ideas:
    Ridley (Ridley Scott)
    Lowry (Sam Lowry from Brazil)
    Hal (HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey)

Best of luck with your new puppy! It's such a frustrating experience, but you'll feel the rewards of a good dog who loves you in spades.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chkadii For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-13-2015),JLC (12-13-2015),Megg (12-14-2015),wolfy-hound (12-13-2015)

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming!! Also, the pictures got mixed up and this is really him

Ball Python
    1.0 Spider (Zues)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boa Constrictors

Thanks
    After raising several puppies the best advice I can give you is to be patient, buy yourself a good crate, and triple the amount of time that you originally thought that you would spend taking care of the dog. Your pup is an extremely cute, but very high energy breed. Be prepared to spend a lot of time exercising your dog. As others have said, wait until your dog is fully vaccinated before going to dog parks etc. However, it is extremely important to socialize your pup early on to other dogs, other people, and all the sights and sounds of the world. There are many puppy socialization classes in most cities, as well as meet ups and group events for new puppy owners. You will do yourself a huge favor by getting your dog socialized at an early age, and you will avoid aggression and other issues down the road. Make sure your puppy gets to hear cars, go for rides, meet children and see things outside of your home. Use the crate for potty training, there are many 'how to' websites on the internet regarding this. Most importantly just love your little pup. Dogs are pack animals and they need to feel part of a group. Spoil them with attention, and realize that in the first year of their life they do not know the rules, and any issue that they have is YOUR fault, as you have not taught them yet. Most importantly have fun. Raising a puppy is definitely an incredible experience.

Thanks

All right so I've got pretty much everything that I need I just have to get the heartworm medication and some flea stuff and I'm set. By the way I should've let you all know I do have a little knowledge on dogs as I have been around them a lot my life I just never owned my own. I did get a pretty decent size crate it will do him good for several months until I can upgrade him to a bigger crate. Other than that I appreciate all the input there are a few things herethat I did not know so everything is definitely appreciated. I am so excited it's probably going to be next week because she just took them away from the mother yesterday and they are going to be nine weeks next week.

Ball Python
    1.0 Spider (Zues)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boa Constrictors

Thanks
    I second what a few have said, get a good leash, and walk him regularly, aside from his "play" exercise. If you don't teach him to "walk" with you when he's young, you'll regret it. Also, if he will be an inside dog, don't give him table/people food. You'll want to. Try to fight that urge. If not, you'll end up with a 5 year old dog that will sit and beg anytime he sees someone with food. Extra annoying when you have guests or children over. Some breeds are worse than others about this, but it's better to just let them eat their food and you eat yours.

Good luck. Be patient. Dogs are fun, and emotionally very rewarding. You'll experience a love you never knew was possible. There is just great bond you can have with a dog. They love unconditionally. But at the same time, there will be days you will get frustrated to (or maybe beyond) your breaking point. Your dog will likely make you very angry at some point. Try to just walk away, cool off, and then deal with what issues may have caused this (Unless there is an immediate safety issue, of course). Don't reprimand out of anger.

Enjoy... you have an amazing future ahead of you with that cute little pup!
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast