Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

2 members and 2,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Well considering that you also killed a pet(the tarantula) in retaliation for his putting it on your bed(no matter that you were scared of spiders), then it's just as possible that he could press charges against you too. Just food for thought, you know?

Personally, the deliberate and cruel act of running boiling water over a living animal is far far worse than killing an animal in the heat of the moment while in a highly fearful state. One is a uncontrolled reaction(hitting a spider), while the other is a thought-out act deliberately done.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Re: Rest in Spaghetti, Never Forgetti

I think that since the OP's response to the spider was a fear response, they could even argue that the stepbrother intentionally putting the tarantula in that position is cruelty in itself. The op said they told the step brother not yo bring it around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gaitedappy For This Useful Post:

abiwankenobi (07-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Well considering that you also killed a pet(the tarantula) in retaliation for his putting it on your bed(no matter that you were scared of spiders), then it's just as possible that he could press charges against you too. Just food for thought, you know?

Personally, the deliberate and cruel act of running boiling water over a living animal is far far worse than killing an animal in the heat of the moment while in a highly fearful state. One is a uncontrolled reaction(hitting a spider), while the other is a thought-out act deliberately done.
    Takes controlled thought to pick up an object and use it as a tool to smash something. I agree the snake boiling is the worse offense - due to the situation and means of dispatching, I'm not putting less value on the life of an invert per se - but smashing something with a book isn't an uncontrolled, fearful, reaction. If he had smashed the tarantula with his hand then I could probably buy into the fearful, uncontrolled, reaction. I think he acted rashly in the heat of the moment but could just have easily walked away. Heck, walking(or rather, running) away would have been the easier choice if he was truly afraid.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-16-2015),Fraido (08-02-2016),rlditmars (12-15-2015),wolfy-hound (12-16-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Takes controlled thought to pick up an object and use it as a tool to smash something. I agree the snake boiling is the worse offense - due to the situation and means of dispatching, I'm not putting less value on the life of an invert per se - but smashing something with a book isn't an uncontrolled, fearful, reaction. If he had smashed the tarantula with his hand then I could probably buy into the fearful, uncontrolled, reaction. I think he acted rashly in the heat of the moment but could just have easily walked away. Heck, walking(or rather, running) away would have been the easier choice if he was truly afraid.
    As someone with arachnophobia, I do not agree. I can handle seeing spiders that I expect without any problem, and even recognize that they are amazing creatures worthy of admiration. I have even kept a scorpion for a short time, after finding it near my cousin's infant and having someone catch it for me - long enough to identify it, and find it a home with a prof. at the local college. Incidentally, it was a female Northern Desert Hairy Scorpion, aka Black Back Hairy Scorpion, which appear to be becoming common in Northern Nevada. That aside, if I'm startled by an arachnid, especially when it is in close proximity to me, I have an uncontrolled violent response. If there's something in my hand, or close enough to grab, chances are it's getting thrown or used as a bludgeoning instrument. The last time that happened was when I was getting undressed for bed, and a wind scorpion fell off the ceiling - no idea how it got there, but there's nowhere else it could have come from - and landed on my bare leg. I had a shoe in one hand, and the wind scorpion did not survive. Had I encountered it outside, where I look for them, or been warned ahead of time and been able to view it from a distance, it would have been fine - so long as someone else was convenient to remove it. But if it startles me, or it's on me, anything nearby becomes an instrument of defense, usually to the detriment of the arachnid.
    Last edited by Caspian; 12-16-2015 at 01:16 AM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (12-23-2015),Herpo (01-05-2016),Marzipan (07-31-2017),wolfy-hound (12-16-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Often times, fear responses are incredibly violent. Just because the OP used a book and not his hand, does not mean that he was not in a state of panic. For most people with phobias the panic response involves using something as a weapon instead of actually touching the object actually associated with the phobia.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaitedappy For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (12-23-2015),wolfy-hound (12-16-2015)

Thanks
    Oh man, anything with more then four legs completely freaks me out! The bigger, the scarier. I wouldn't touch a tarantula with my bare hands... nuh uh... no way. I too would grab anything with in my reach and squash it. Uhggg... gives me the shivers just thinking about it. Yuck!

I would have reacted the exact same way as the OP and I highly, highly doubt that the OP would be charged for his brother's stupidity. The older brother intentionally put the spider's life in danger and then intentionally killed the snake. The OP is completely safe from animal cruelty charges.

I am not being biased here. If it were the other way around with the snake in the bed squished and the spider intentionally boiled for revenge, the ball would be in the spider's court and I would support it too, no matter how creepy 8 legged creatures are.
    Last edited by lunasjy; 12-16-2015 at 03:40 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lunasjy For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (12-16-2015)

Thanks
    Your brother needs help too, because what he did is animal cruelty and abuse. This could get him in trouble with the law, especially as he seems to have no boundaries when it comes to the animal ownership of others and no concept of respect for pets and people. If he's done this to you, what has he done to other people and their pets before this? And I would bet if this is not the first time, it will certainly not be the last time he does this to someone and their beloved pet. Yeah, you and your brother are immature, but he should have respected your phobia. And most immature people don't deliberately torture and kill an animal by deliberating pouring boiling hot water on its face. That's mental illness, not just immaturity. What a horrible death for any animal!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to marya1962 For This Useful Post:

cristacake (01-24-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts
    in my opinion, sounds like the stepbrother could use a good thrashing. of course, that would be assault, and kind of illegal.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to se7en For This Useful Post:

Russdent (11-18-2016),Trisnake (08-24-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    This story has been running through my head since I read it... every part of it is really horrible.

The two things that occur to me are that first, as much as it sucks, you should not bring another pet into your home if you can't keep your step brother away from it. As a teenager, you might not have much choice in the matter and that royally sucks. But eventually you'll be living on your own and will be able to choose who comes into your house and who doesn't, and then you can get another pet.

The second thing that occurs to me is that your step brother sounds like someone you want to be careful of and shouldn't be alone with. An adult in his 30's who would do something like that to a teenager has problems, and could be potentially dangerous even if he is (or says he is) getting help. It may be hard to imagine something bad happening, but people are injured and abused by family members every day. And the fact that he would do something like pour boiling water on a living animal just to spite you (or use his own pet to play a trick on you) just reinforces what he might be capable of. So, be careful. Don't be alone with this guy.

Thanks

Update

The issue has been handled. I have no clue what happened. I haven't seen him lately, and I assume he went to jail. But, on another note, Thanks for all your support, I love this community <3
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-03-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: TOS Violation

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast