Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,988

0 members and 2,988 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Help With Making a Small Rack

I am looking to make a snake rack for my 2 ball pythons - I am not planning on breeding for another 3+ years though, nor really adding anything into my collection until then.
    I would like something shorter than 6ft, as I am 4'10.

I was wondering if it's possible to make a rack with two open spots for 2 snakes, but also have an area where I can put personal items, etc., like a drawer (optional), I am just worried about finding a spot for my two snakes.
    I would also like a lock and/or door system installed onto it, to ensure safety of my animals and so my curious family members can't easily let them out.

When working with wood and plastic-tubs, would a UTH work or would I need the electrical tape method?
    What materials are needed for this? What tools? Any specific brand for the plastic tubs? Would this change how my snake sheds?
    Is this mission possible?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Help With Making a Small Rack

ANYTHING is possible. I know there are some affordable racks out there from Animal Plastics and a few others. If you really want to build your own, I don't see why it cannot be done. If I were going to build a rack, I would first pick out what tubs I want. Get something that will be around a while in case you want to get more later. Rubbermaid or Sterlite are pretty popular. Find the size you want, and then plan your rack to fit that size tub. When building your own rack, really the sky is the limit. You could easily encorporate some storage space, doors, or drawers. It would be great if you could get some pvc sheeting to build out of, but it can get pretty pricey. My next suggestion would probably be melamine, as it would probably handle moisture and humidity a little better than plain wood. You can get it in 4'x8' sheets or smaller shelf size sections usually at big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot, etc... It would be best to still seal any and all cracks/joints with a silicone caulking, just for extra moisture protection.

As far as heating, I think you could use a regular UTH, but you'd want to make sure he tub sits up a tad so that there can be some air circulation under the tub. Maybe that's not needed, and maybe you could do side heating, as long as the ambient temps were warm enough, but I can't offer any advice on that, as I'm not that experienced. Personally, If I were going to use regular UTH's, I'd build in a small rail so the tank could sit on it and allow maybe 2-3mm of space under the tank.

If your build is exact enough that the tubs fit pretty close to the sides and top of your enclosure, if you keep the heat up to where it should be and keep a water dish in there, humidity should take care of itself. You may even end up needing to put a few small holes in the tub for more air and to lower the humidity. That would probably depend on room temps/humidity, how the enclosure is built, etc...
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

Lexiethekitten (12-07-2015)

Thanks
    All commercially produced UTH devices that come from pet stores are basically heat tape wired to a plug and then put into a plastic sheath with an adhesive. You could use them, but the cost for two would be much more than just ordering some heat tape/connections from RBI or Pro products. They will pre wire everything so that all you have to do is tape it down with foil tape. Definitely use a thermostat to regulate temps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

Lexiethekitten (12-07-2015)

Thanks
    Perfect, I appreciate it!

I'll probably get it started next weekend or so, I currently don't have Aster in my house yet, but if I don't get it fixed before she's here then I'll just have her in the plastic tub I have currently, I hope it'll work out pretty soon.

I have many ideas but I guess I won't know what I want completely until I'm there working on it!