Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

2 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

pseudomonas aeruginosa

Hello everyone, a few weeks ago i posted a thread about a few of my snakes dealing with an illness, well i had 2 snakes cultured and its pseudomonas aeruginosa. I would like to share my set up and post changes i have made and ask if anyone has ever dealt with this bacteria and if so, besides the amikacin injection every three days is there any thing i can do to help them along. my vet bill thus far is nearing $1800 anything i can do to speed this up would be great. One word of advice to anyone reading this thread if your snake is sick take it to be cultured, the bacteria they have is fairley common but resistant to most antibiotics except 3. the culture are $170 but will really help you get the correct meds.

30 snakes acquired since July or August.
    Herpastat 2 90 degree temp on heat tape day and night.
    Vision racks and tubs.
    Fog ponics -new addition 56% humidity.
    Paper towel switched from aspen, i kept finding aspen pieces in the snakes mouths.
    Ambient temps 85 degrees i added a pedestal fan to circulate the heat and air, i have temp swings of only 1 degree.
    3 digital thermometers and 3 stick ons.
    Humidistat automatically regulates the humidity by measuring the humidity and turning the fog ponics on and off- new addition no humidity control before this i live in florida.
    I use gen 4 water trays that fit in vision rack but removed them because the snakes where using them as hides and soaking in 1/2 inch of water. Now i just use water dish google gen 4 water trays water racks for a pic
    Added hides to the draws but not sure i really had to because they are in basically in a hide, its a draw
    Drilled 4-5/8 holes in each tub
    Clean all cage and cage accessories with diluted F10
    Hand sanitizer in every room i deal with snakes

Please if you have any info on pseudomonas aeruginosa i welcome any support

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Getting 30 snakes since July/August is a lot. How did you quarantine them all, or were they all from the same source?

New arrivals should live in isolation for at least 90 days before being brought near your collection, unless they show up sick or with mites, and then the 90-day clock doesn't start running until they're healthy and mite-free. Be thankful you are dealing with a virus that is treatable, had your snakes been hit with a viral infection you could have lost everything.

A quick Google search of pseudomonas aeruginosa shows the potential for airborne transmission so I would add an air purifier to the room. I run a GermGuardian AC4100 in each of my herp rooms. I picked that one because the HEPA filter takes care of larger particles and then the UVC light kills bacteria and virii. You can find it on Amazon.

Thanks

Re: pseudomonas aeruginosa

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Getting 30 snakes since July/August is a lot. How did you quarantine them all, or were they all from the same source?

New arrivals should live in isolation for at least 90 days before being brought near your collection, unless they show up sick or with mites, and then the 90-day clock doesn't start running until they're healthy and mite-free. Be thankful you are dealing with a virus that is treatable, had your snakes been hit with a viral infection you could have lost everything.

A quick Google search of pseudomonas aeruginosa shows the potential for airborne transmission so I would add an air purifier to the room. I run a GermGuardian AC4100 in each of my herp rooms. I picked that one because the HEPA filter takes care of larger particles and then the UVC light kills bacteria and virii. You can find it on Amazon.

I really didn't quarantine the animals, i bought them from what i felt where reputable breeders however 1 snake i brought in from Underground reptiles was sick, i called them to send it back they asked me to keep it over the weekend i didn't put it with my snakes that i had but that is where my trouble began. Underground reptile also sent me a male champaign that had a triangle body shape, i called them they said and i quote so ball pythons have triangle body shape, well i knew that was wrong information but i kept the snake and took care of it. i have snakes that i have purchased still at the breeders that i will not take delivery of until this is gone. i buy now from only 2 people
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 12-02-2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Language

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog herp View Post
    I really didn't quarantine the animals...
    All new animals require quarantine even if from reputable sources.

i bought them from what i felt where reputable breeders however 1 snake i brought in from Underground reptiles was sick, i called them to send it back they asked me to keep it over the weekend i didn't put it with my snakes that i had but that is where my trouble began. Underground reptile also sent me a male champaign that had a triangle body shape, i called them they said and i quote so ball pythons have triangle body shape, well i knew that was wrong information but i kept the snake and took care of it. i have snakes that i have purchased still at the breeders that i will not take delivery of until this is gone. i buy now from only 2 people
    Next time you can do some research before you purchase - there are some great breeders out there, along with some real pieces of excrement: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=13
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 12-02-2015 at 07:58 AM. Reason: edit quote

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    All new animals require quarantine even if from reputable sources.

Next time you can do some research before you purchase - there are some great breeders out there, along with some real pieces of excrement: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=13

I just bought 4 of those guardian air puirifiers its says each is good for 200 square feet, do you agree

Thanks

I really only want to buy from Dave Green, he is great really helpful i am really upset with myself that i dint do the thing that was least costly as in money quarantine lol i know its not funny but to spend about $12,000 on snakes tubes racks etc etc but not do the easy thing is something i have to deal with now

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bulldog herp For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (12-02-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog herp View Post
    I just bought 4 of those guardian air puirifiers its says each is good for 200 square feet, do you agree
    The spaces I have them in are smaller than that, but I also have dogs that shed, which is hard on air filters.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i'm glad u found the source (bad breeder and bacteria) and that your snakes are on the road to recovery. i've followed your threads. Thank you for being open and sharing your story.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I'm glad you're getting things figured out and wish all your new snakes speedy recoveries.

Thanks

thanks, today i decided to do a peroxide mouth wash because i feel that they had some mouth rot forming. i cleaned there mouths out with a mix of peroxide and water than i used an iodine solution, there mouths look better already. I am really happy i have no new cases

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast