Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,745

0 members and 2,745 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Sufficient heating for my tank??

I bought an exo-terra large/wide terrarium, and I was hoping to get some advice on heating. The tank's measurements are 36"x18"x18", and I'm planing to get a UTH pad for the primary heat and a lamp for a basking/hot spot, but I'm not sure what size/watt I'll need? I'm also concerned that this might not be adequate, because the tank is so big and my ambient room temperature is pretty low. I'll be getting a thermostat and thermometers, of course, but I don't want to buy a lamp and mat only to find out that the ones I chose aren't going to work for me. This is my first reptile tank, so I just want to make sure I get all the equipment matched up right for my future snake baby.
    Thoughts?

Thanks

Well I would set everything thing up. substrate, hides , water bowl filled with water ,any foliage , everything but the snake. once you have your UTH running leave it on overnight. then in the morning, check the temp of everything(I use a temp gun). Your heat gradiance should be 85-90 on hot side and 75-80 on cool end and a humidity around 60%. If the tank doesn't reach those requirements then you need to get a basking lamp. The wattage you will have to buy and test to see what fits your tanks needs. But if your tan k is running too hot just with the UTH then simply turn down the thermostat.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! Temp gun everywhere... Temp guns cost around 15$ on amazon. use it under your hides, on your substrate, the water, the plants, any decorations, everything. Also if your using a UTH, I like to but the terrarium liners under my substrate. This allows the snake to burrow and not lay directly on the hot glass under neath your substrate. They are maybe 5$ a roll.

Thanks

Re: Sufficient heating for my tank??

I just put a smaller (27 gal) Exo-Terra together this week. Here's what I learned/did.

They can be tough to keep humid. I solved this by using Eco Earth, and covering 2/3 of the screen top with a piece of plexiglass. My humidity is just over 60%

I plan to use a Reptile Basics radiant heat panel and VE-100 t-stat for ambient temperature but it'll be after Christmas before I place that order. Until then a 60w CHE is keeping my hot side at an even 89, and my cool side at 75. The CHE and RHP work in a very similar ways, but the RHP is more efficient, safer, and gives a cleaner more finished look to your enclosure. I also installed a UTH to create a hotspot.

Since taking these pics I've gotten rid of the single CFL light, and replaced it with an LED strip to further give that "finished look". I know the snake doesn't need it, but it makes it nice for us people critters to view them. I can post a pic of it later if you're interested.

Hopefully this is at least quasi informative.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Polyangler; 12-03-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks

Re: Sufficient heating for my tank??

I also have a tank of these dimensions. I don't have an UTH, they just make me nervous. I have one 100 watt ceramic heater (regulated by a thermostat to keep his hot hide between 88.5 and 90.0) and a 100 watt 'nighttime blue' bulb (has a dimmer) that keeps the cool hide between 80 and 82.5. The screen lid is covered in foil to maintain humidity. When the humidity drops I put a hot damp towel under the foil, this way his substrate is nice and dry to prevent belly rot. I always have a moist hide (85*-88*F) available at all times if he want to use it. With these two bulbs the ambient fluctuates between 80 and 83 depending on the house temp. I also have lots of thermometers, one for each hide, one for the highest point in the cage along a branch just to make sure it's not too hot that close to the blue light, and two for ambient temperatures (all digital) and two hygrometers (one for each side).

hope this helps

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

BPs don't really bask. The UTH is mainly for a hot spot to lay on and wont do much for ambient temperatures especially if your room is too cold.
    Best advice given so far is to get it set up and figure it out before you get an animal in it.