Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,778

0 members and 2,778 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

light for my future chameleon

Hello guys,
    I want to bring a small chameleon to home. I bought a cage and tree. With the purpose to save some money I want to use the light panel from my old fish tank. Is it possible? If I change the bulbs will it be suitable for the cham?

Thanks
    Can I take usual fluorescent bulbs of this size https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/b...lham-lighting/ for the light panel? Can I use it as a day light for the cham? I read information in wiki. It was written that chameleons need UV light. If t get light from fluorescent bulbs will it be similar to UV light? Maybe the question is silly, but I would like to spend less on equipment.

Thanks

Re: light for my future chameleon

Quote Originally Posted by theresa123 View Post
    Can I take usual fluorescent bulbs of this size https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/b...lham-lighting/ for the light panel? Can I use it as a day light for the cham? I read information in wiki. It was written that chameleons need UV light. If t get light from fluorescent bulbs will it be similar to UV light? Maybe the question is silly, but I would like to spend less on equipment.
    Hi, you'll need a UVB 5.0, or Arcadia bulb to give your Cham UVB they will need 12/12 cycle on both that and a basking bulb to get temps to whatever your species needs. You can get the bulbs alone in pretty much any fixture type, I use 4 bulb 2ft T5 grow lights and switch one bulb out to an Arcadia. A shoplight fixture will be cheapest route likely about 15 bucks from local hardware store. You just want to be sure it's a linear bulb, the CFL have been known to cause eye problems in chameleons. Feel free to pm me if you need any chameleon help I work with quite a few species.
    1.0 Banana Fire Spider 1.0 Black Pastel Clown (Liesen)
    0.1 Banana
    0.1 BEL Butter Mohave
    0.1 Cinnamon
    0.1 Clown
    0.1 Pastel Leopard het pied pos het clown