Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 536

1 members and 535 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Pros/cons of tortoise ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    The statement stands, their high mortality rate is compounded in the hands of a novice because they do take more attention to detail and are much less forgiving of keeper errors.
    Yes, a novice keeper who is uneducated in proper tortoise care does compound mortality rates. However, as the OP mentioned earlier, there is a TON of outdated, misleading and just plain incorrect information on the internet regarding basic tortoise care.

But, substandard breeding practices still stand as a major hurdle to a thriving hatchling. Many breeders will have dozens of mating pairs of torts producing large clutches multiple times a year. Frequently these babies are grouped together, and fed communally in a large enclosure. If care isn't taken to soak hatchlings, and maintain humidity standards, it is very possible to receive a dehydrated hatchling that wasn't eating.
    Last edited by JoshSloane; 11-24-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    If care isn't taken to soak hatchlings, and maintain humidity standards, it is very possible to receive a dehydrated hatchling that wasn't eating.
    Honestly, soaking is only required if your environment is substandard. Them wild ones don't have someone placing them in a tub of water every day and you never see pyramiding there. It's a good practice if you're unsure but I think dialing in your parameters better is a healthier remedy longterm. Seems we both agree on one thing especially, buy from someone who is reputable and offering well started tortoises. Buying a yearling makes it harder for a seller to deceive you though. They all look pretty perfect right out of the egg but if they look good at a year - the seller is doing something right.

Thanks

Honestly, soaking is only required if your environment is substandard. Them wild ones don't have someone placing them in a tub of water every day and you never see pyramiding there. It's a good practice if you're unsure but I think dialing in your parameters better is a healthier remedy longterm. Seems we both agree on one thing especially, buy from someone who is reputable and offering well started tortoises. Buying a yearling makes it harder for a seller to deceive you though. They all look pretty perfect right out of the egg but if they look good at a year - the seller is doing something right.
    The thing is that at least for sulcatas, they hatch during the rainy season, turning their environment into a marshy wetland. Hatchlings typically inhabit small burrows that frequently have small pools of standing water, resulting in natural 'soaks' and extremely high humidity.

Thanks

The thing is that at least for sulcatas, they hatch during the rainy season, turning their environment into a marshy wetland. Hatchlings typically inhabit small burrows that frequently have small pools of standing water, resulting in natural 'soaks' and extremely high humidity.
    Easily replicated, even with a tortoise table.

Thanks

Easily replicated, even with a tortoise table.
    In a dry state like CO the ambient humidity will never be able to come close to the necessary 70-80% with a tort table.

Thanks

In a dry state like CO the ambient humidity will never be able to come close to the necessary 70-80% with a tort table.
    There are no rules against covering the top of a tortoise table. A false bottom is also good to have. It might not be needed but starting with one is a lot less work than adding it if you find you're having to make tortoise soup often. A couple inches of drainage layer, some mesh on top, substrate above the mesh. Really, so long as you reach your goals in the burrows/hides where your youngster is going to spend at least half of their time, you'll be fine.

A closed chamber sounds good for hitting humidity levels easily but terrible for everything else. I've always been a fan of high air exchange though and try to reach my goals with as much ventilation as possible. I'm in Florida though, everything humidity related is much less hassle here. If I lived in CO I'd probably turn my reptile room into a jungle with a bunch of water loving houseplants to help raise the ambient humidity in that room, then go from there.

Thanks

There are no rules against covering the top of a tortoise table. A false bottom is also good to have. It might not be needed but starting with one is a lot less work than adding it if you find you're having to make tortoise soup often. A couple inches of drainage layer, some mesh on top, substrate above the mesh. Really, so long as you reach your goals in the burrows/hides where your youngster is going to spend at least half of their time, you'll be fine.

A closed chamber sounds good for hitting humidity levels easily but terrible for everything else. I've always been a fan of high air exchange though and try to reach my goals with as much ventilation as possible. I'm in Florida though, everything humidity related is much less hassle here. If I lived in CO I'd probably turn my reptile room into a jungle with a bunch of water loving houseplants to help raise the ambient humidity in that room, then go from there.
    Ah yes, in a warm humid climate like Florida things get a lot easier. Cold and dry CO makes it difficult. My closed chamber has some minimal ventilation, and has full air exchange daily during feeding time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12