Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

3 members and 3,132 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brick baking

Thanks
    There was a post a while back (i can't find it now) someone came up with the idea of soaking a brick in water then puttig it in their enclosure to help with humidity. It seems like a good idea and now that it's been getting colder and my heat has been kicking on more often i've been dealing with low humidity even with my humidifier running in the room. So here is my question. I'm using a small piece of cinder block and I was wondering if I should bake it in the oven to kill any germs before I put it in the tank. If so how long??

-Troy
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    You could just wash it in hot soapy water (use a scrub brush) and then soak it in a 10% bleach solution for 20-30 minutes. Then rinse and let it air dry (or even better, sun dry) for 24 hours. Safer than baking I would think and even more effective.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    i'll probablly give it a good soaking after the bleach soaking to make sure all the bleach is gone. I don't want to have bleach water evaporating in the tank.
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Thanks
    I clean stone, brick and wood all the time with anti-bacterial dish soap and then bake them at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes to sterilize. Works fine.

Bleach solution works great too....I just can't stand the smell. Chlorhexidine (nolvasan) works too and is not toxic. That is what I use now instead of bleach.
    In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test.
    You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at. -Shiqin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Me too .... I love Nolvasan! Everything smells sooo clean when you're done scrubbing down with it.

I just suggested bleach because it's cheap and easy to get, but if you can go the extra yard, chlorhexidine rocks!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    I ran some hot water in the sink and put some anti-bacterial soap in with a little virosan and a splash of bleach. I just got done scrubbing it down and it's soaking now.

Adam you mentioned that soaking is safer than baking the brick. What could happen if I bake it???
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Thanks
    Sometimes when you try to bake a rock it can explode. This in mind I have never baked a brick. Any moisture in the brick that can't get out fast enough during baking may cause it to blow apart at various velocities. Yikes!
    Boiling rocks and bricks for twenty minutes will kill all hiding crawlies and you'll never have to replace broken stove door glass.

Thanks

Snake Venom May Slow Cancer Growth, Studies Hint

AHHHHHH *running to oven to turn it off* I wasn't expecting that answer. I was thinking more along the lines of it might not kill all the bacteria and other bad stuff. Well my oven and hunk of cinder brick are cooling as we speak and nothing has blown up........yet. It baked for about 8 minutes before I saw this blowing up post.
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Thanks
    Blowing up of a brick is a bit extreme, rocks yes, brick much less likely since many bricks are backed in the first place, it would take really really high heats to blow an already manufactured brick. The temps they bake them at in the first place is I would think it much higer than your home oven, but I guess better safe than sorry, though I have baked many a brick for heat in the winter. Thats a whole other story.

Thanks
    I've soaked it for 20 min in bleach/virosan/antibacterial water for 20 min, baked it for 15 min and boiled it for 20. Needless to say if there is anything harmful left living in or on this thing it deserves to live there!
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast