Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,761

4 members and 2,757 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

View Poll Results: What would your preferred setup?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • UTH Only

12 36.36%
  • RHP Only

8 24.24%
  • UTH + RHP

13 39.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Poll: UTH, RHP, or RHP+UTH

This is is mainly for those with PVC cages, but all input is welcome.

After some reading on here, I ordered a T-8 with a Pro-Products RHP and flex watt. When I called Bob to order the RHP and told him what I planned on using, he tried to talk me out of the flex watt and talked about fires and the fact they are not UL listed so I would have no insurance coverage, that belly heat is unnatural, etc. I thanked him for his input and took it for what it was worth. He also said to set up the RHP with the thermostat probe near the surface on the cold side of the cage.

I have read various opinions on the use of flex watt and rhp's and their set up. But I would like to get a better consensus of what everyone uses and why or why not. My ambient temps In the winter will need an assist from an RHP, but in the summer, I think I could get away with just flex watt. But, if I go RHP only, I can get away with only using one Herpstat 2 instead of having to buy another thermostat.

So so what say you wise sages of BP.net?

Thanks

Re: Poll: UTH, RHP, or RHP+UTH

Quote Originally Posted by bproffer View Post
    This is is mainly for those with PVC cages, but all input is welcome.

After some reading on here, I ordered a T-8 with a Pro-Products RHP and flex watt. When I called Bob to order the RHP and told him what I planned on using, he tried to talk me out of the flex watt and talked about fires and the fact they are not UL listed so I would have no insurance coverage, that belly heat is unnatural, etc. I thanked him for his input and took it for what it was worth. He also said to set up the RHP with the thermostat probe near the surface on the cold side of the cage.

I have read various opinions on the use of flex watt and rhp's and their set up. But I would like to get a better consensus of what everyone uses and why or why not. My ambient temps In the winter will need an assist from an RHP, but in the summer, I think I could get away with just flex watt. But, if I go RHP only, I can get away with only using one Herpstat 2 instead of having to buy another thermostat.

So so what say you wise sages of BP.net?

I'm running just a RHP in my T8 and its working great and my BP is doing extremely well in it so take it for what it's worth. I will say I tried setting my thermostat like he suggested on the cold side and I couldn't get my cages heat right. I moved my probe to hot side and got it dialed in about perfect. I'm using a Herpstat 1.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smitty33 For This Useful Post:

bproffer (11-10-2015),KevinK (01-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    My snake room is warmer than the rest of the house so I can get away with either belly heat or an RHP. The temperature in the rest of the house can swing, and while it's usually just a few degrees cooler than the snake room, in the dead of winter it can drop into the mid-60's if the outside temp goes below 20*F (stupid heat pumps...). So, enclosures not in the snake room have an RHP for ambient temps + under-tank heat for the hot basking spot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

bproffer (11-10-2015)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I had both installed on my pvc cages because of how cold my house runs in the winter and to give me more options. That way if one heat or the other quits I'm ok. I live in northern MN though. This winter I decided it would be easier to heat the room so got an oil filled radiator to keep the room at 78. For my short tails this plus uth is perfect since they prefer lower temps, for my ball and boas the rhp is heavier used to get temps up. A rhp placed on the top of the cage will heat up the cage above it quite a bit also and since I have stacks of cages with different heat levels I have to keep that in mind and decide who goes where. You could always get both and rotate which is in use depending on the season.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

bproffer (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    The BEST option is what works for YOU.

I will not argue or debate with anybody who has a system that is, or has been working for them. I can only say what I am using successfully.

I have used lights, and under tank heat. I personally don't care for lights and as soon as I was using high quality plastic enclosures for all of the snake here they were out!

I use Pro-Products RHPs and have them set up the way the manufacturer advised. (Probe on cool side floor level) I have had zero issues and find about a 10 degree difference between warm and cool sides.

No matter what you use, the thermostat makes the system IMO. Even with lights, the Herpstat line worked like a charm.

I do the same as GoingPostal, I also heat the room with a space heater. It is a very large water heat unit. I don't even know if they are made any longer.

I think if you use quality products your chances of anything going wrong are minimal. I don't follow house fire reports, but I don't hear any stories on the news stating "The fire started in a reptile room".

I love the RHPs and find them easy to use once installed.

Using both will never hurt if needed in your situation.

Find your method and go for it!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Like Gio mentioned, its what works best for you. There is no best method. What I usually say is if your room is 75F+ then a heat tape will work good. If you room is colder than 75F then you will need a RHP. I have used both and I personally prefer heat tape.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

I don't think anyone's mentioned, but obviously the species of snake you have is important too. If it's arboreal, the flexwatt won't do squat for you.

I agree in use what works for you, but in my T8s I use only a Pro Heat RHP with probe on cool side (I had it on hot side but it seemed to create a lot of temp fluctuation). My room temp is in upper 60s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    I don't think anyone's mentioned, but obviously the species of snake you have is important too....
    Bingo! I voted UTH, but I'm keeping mostly colubrids that don't need super-warm cages, AND I keep my house well-regulated year-round via thermostat. A few
    of my snakes enjoy extra overhead warmth but I don't use RHP for that. Nothing against RHP, just doing what works for me & my animals.

So for sure you have to take into account the "big picture": what you're keeping...what kind of cage and whether or not it's insulated..what your home or snake
    -room conditions are, etc.

I will add that I've safely used Flexwatt for over 3 decades and without any safety issues or malfunctions...I'm pretty sure that the OP's source might have been
    pitching RHP with profit in mind... As for it not being UL-listed, bear in mind that Flexwatt was originally created NOT for herps but for warming plant roots
    in commercial nurseries...and we herp-keepers latched onto using it & have yet to 'give it back'. Safety comes down to following the directions! (Requires a
    little ventilation so it doesn't over-heat, it should be "regulated", & don't install on metal shelves or using metal tape, as it's not super-insulated.)

Thanks
    I've been using solely UTH's for 15+ years for snakes and never had any issues.

However, I'm about to order some PVC cages now that I have my own place and don't have to answer to my parents about my bizarre spending choices and use of space, lol. And when I do, I'm gonna have RHP's installed as well as slots for UTH. Just so I have options. I'd rather have something and not use it than not have it and need it.
    Last edited by alittleFREE; 08-25-2018 at 06:26 PM.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Poll: UTH, RHP, or RHP+UTH

Soooooo

I've heard on the grapevine that there may be cause for concern as regards the heating of plastic rub/rubs wether it's UTH or heat /ceramic bulbs!?!?!

The suggestion is ....

Plastic when heated to a certain level will always release VOC which have apparently been linked with Respiratory Tract Infections ( more commonly known as RI ) in snakes and other reptiles ..

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are extremely hazardous. The EPA explains VOCs, and the dangers they pose to our health. According to the EPA, VOCs cause eye, nose and throat irritation, frequent headaches, nausea, and can also damage the liver, kidney and central nervous system .

Any thoughts , ideas , concerns or information on this topic ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 01-24-2019 at 02:27 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast