Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,557

1 members and 1,556 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

temps and substrate question

I have a question regarding my set up which is new, I got Sally last week but she was in a 20 gal tall, not heated and I was told she is about 3 yrs old, 920 grams.

I have a vision 332 (36x28) set up with a Ultratherm 11/23 on the left as you look at the enclosure for the hot side, opposite the heat lamp that I am using to raise the ambient.

The uth is on a VE300, probe attached to below the uth under the thank, insulation under the uth as directed on installation sheet.

I have a thermometer probe inside the tank below the substrate on the hot side. The substrate is repti-bark and is very thin layer on the hot side, about 1/2 inch or so.

So my question is, the thermostat is currently set at 94, the temp probe indie the tank under the substrate reads 94 as well. But I can't get the ambient temp above 75 even with the heat lamp on. I've checked it with 2 diff thermometers (temp gun has been ordered). If I lay a temp probe on the substrate it reads 80.

I'm concerned with raising the temp on the hot side because the substrate is so thin, sally can move it out of the way and be directly on the bottom of the enclosure which seems to be at 94?

I've covered 2 of the 3 vents and will cover that one now. Room temp is currently 68-72. I've read what I can find on the site relating to temps and heat but can't figure it out.

So any suggestions on what to change or how to improve are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: temps and substrate question

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Lower the UTH temperature down to 92*F on the surface of the glass.

Swap the hides, put the round ceramic one under the lamp and the half log on the cool side. The thin stone will absorb heat and radiate it slowly which will boost the ambient underneath of it; that thick wood with two wide openings won't keep and trap heat well at all. Swapping the hides will give your snake will have a warm place to go even if the rest of the tank is cool.

Now, eventually you will end up discarding the half-log hide. I've found that they mold quickly in high humidity environments, or your snake makes a mess on them and because wood is porous, it's almost impossible to clean and sanitize. When you eventually do have to discard it, get another plastic or ceramic hide that can be easily cleaned.

Thanks

Re: temps and substrate question

I dropped the UTH temp as suggested, and replaced the heat lamp with an infrared 75 watt and now have 92 on the hot side and 80 on the cool. I'm going to order a new hide, the log came with her so I put it in in case she was used to it but shes not left the rock hide.

is it ok to turn off the heat lamp at night, since she is on the hot side anyway or is it better to leave it on?

thank you.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    You can put the heat lamp on a Lamp Timer or leave it on, either is fine as long as your temperatures don't drop too cold at night.