Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,960

0 members and 2,960 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

BP Bad Shed and looks Dry

I have had my BP for about 2.5 months now and she has shed twice. The first shed she did on her own and seemed to do well, I had to clear a small spot on her tail. This second shed it came off in small pieces and was all over the place. She had a bunch left on her. I have a large water bowl in her enclosure and she has been soaking. There was pieces of shed in her water so I know she used it. When I got home I helped her with the last piece by holding the skin and she slithered out of it. The problem is, she has a spot on her back that looked a little raw when I got home from work and now after a few days, it looks like it is seeping blood. She also feels a little dry/rough near the same spot. Thank you for your help!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B78...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: BP Bad Shed and looks Dry

Hi,

Yeah that looks like she took off the top layer of the new scales with the old shed.

Can you describe your enclosure for us? It sounds like the easiest thing would be to raise the humidity and knowing the setup will help with suggestions.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Re: BP Bad Shed and looks Dry

I have her in a 22 gallon tank with a medium UTH on the right and a heat rock on the right. She has a half log hollowed out hide that sits to the right of center and a wood tree thing to climb left of center and a corner water dish on the left side. The temp is staying around 75ish in the center of the tank as I only have one thermometer right now. I use Repti-bark substrate for her and have about .25-.5 inch. I do need to clean her enclosure since there are still some pieces of shed in there.

I held her today and she seemed happy and active and inquisitive of everything around her. Held her in the sun and she seemed to enjoy basking. I only had the heat rock as the pet store said that was all she would need, but about a week ago, she started to hide under her heat rock all day. I then ordered her the medium UTH and she seems to be much happier and not crawling under her rock any longer. She has spent a lot more time in her water dish the last 2 days than usual, but she does not seem afraid. I tried to feed her a F/T Mouse the other day after her shed and she refused.

Here is her enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Yeah that looks like she took off the top layer of the new scales with the old shed.

Can you describe your enclosure for us? It sounds like the easiest thing would be to raise the humidity and knowing the setup will help with suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    get rid of the heat rock. they're really for lizards.

i think your BP is hiding under the heat rock b/c it feels insecure in the enclosure. u need a closed hide, one on the hot side and the other on the cool side. place the hot side hide over the under tank heater. also block on the back and sides of your tank with paper.

lastly get your under tank heater (and hot rock if u insist on keeping it) on thermostats. unregulated heat sources will burn your BP and aggravate it's shed.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292