Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,909

0 members and 2,909 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Smile Dog sports people?

Who's involved in dog sports here? Whether it's rally, K9 nose work, dock diving, flyball, agility, IPO, French Ring, or even real life work-work like Search and Rescue or K9 Detection? Please share! (It might be rare on a snake forum, but thought I'd try anyway :x )

My interests are currently mainly in, but not limited to, dock diving, flyball, and nose work. I only train K9 Nose Work with my Aussies right now. Mainly focused on Lancer... he has great work ethic, where my other one will often give up in 2 minutes, sit in front of me, and complain and sass loudly about why I'm not looking for it myself. LOL

We're aiming for Lancer's NW1, which I know will be a breeze for him. He's very solid with containers, interiors, and exteriors. It's difficult to practice vehicles with him at home, because once he sees a car, he thinks we're going to the park to play fetch and all thoughts of nose work are gone.

This is my fluffy goob, thinks he's a model. <__<

Last edited by redshepherd; 10-28-2015 at 08:32 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (06-26-2016),Fraido (06-25-2016),kriwu (10-28-2015),Reinz (10-29-2015)

Thanks

Re: Dog sports people?

Gorgeous Aussie! Sadly my Border Collie doesn't do much other than lay around haha. No doggie work gets done around here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AxRegius View Post
    Gorgeous Aussie! Sadly my Border Collie doesn't do much other than lay around haha. No doggie work gets done around here.
    Woah, a border collie who lies around? Preposterous. hahah. How old is he?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Beautiful dogs!

I take a daily hike with my three (maybe three miles). We just don't have the population base for canine sports. Also, around here, the mentality is pretty miserable when it comes to dog care. Sports would be out of the question. I work on some basic obedience with mine. They don't have to be precise about the execution, but with three (and one is a hyper domineering little Chia) life would be WAY too chaotic without it.

I used to frequent a Mastiff forum. Many members there did sports, others did specialized hunting. Some good reading. The Dogo Argentino is good at boar hunting. Who knew? I had never given the Dogo a second thought, but in their element, they are majestic canines.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Woah, a border collie who lies around? Preposterous. hahah. How old is he?
    I know, right? He's almost 5yrs young. Not a puppy but not exactly a senior I'd expect him to have a bit more energy. I picked him up from someone local pretty recently. He was overweight (55#) and lazier than he is now. People around here don't exactly care for their pets very well. He was fed exclusively on Cesar wet dog food and chicken broth. After walks, diet change and strict dieting he has gone down to a great weight but only a bit more active. Still lays around all day if I let him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Beautiful dogs!

I take a daily hike with my three (maybe three miles). We just don't have the population base for canine sports. Also, around here, the mentality is pretty miserable when it comes to dog care. Sports would be out of the question. I work on some basic obedience with mine. They don't have to be precise about the execution, but with three (and one is a hyper domineering little Chia) life would be WAY too chaotic without it.

I used to frequent a Mastiff forum. Many members there did sports, others did specialized hunting. Some good reading. The Dogo Argentino is good at boar hunting. Who knew? I had never given the Dogo a second thought, but in their element, they are majestic canines.
    That makes sense- in many rural areas, canine sports are a rarity- or people need to drive an hour or hours to get to the nearest club.

And that's interesting, I know next to nothing about the Mastiff-specific sports and nothing about hunting. They seem like a pretty rare breed to begin with, but I know some dogos do decently in IPO.

I'm also on dog forums. I used to be active on a bunch, but now I just frequent one with a few members.

Quote Originally Posted by AxRegius View Post
    I know, right? He's almost 5yrs young. Not a puppy but not exactly a senior I'd expect him to have a bit more energy. I picked him up from someone local pretty recently. He was overweight (55#) and lazier than he is now. People around here don't exactly care for their pets very well. He was fed exclusively on Cesar wet dog food and chicken broth. After walks, diet change and strict dieting he has gone down to a great weight but only a bit more active. Still lays around all day if I let him.
    That's great that he lost weight with you though- Cesar wet dog food and chicken broth for a diet sounds terrible. 55 lbs is hefty for a BC.
    I'd pay to see a lazy border collie LOL. Do you have photos of him? :0

Thanks

Bc

I only have some phone pics of him at the moment but here he is
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll be getting better pics soon

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    He looks like a sweetie!

Thanks

My toy Aussie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I've wanted to get Odin into some kind of sports ever since I got him, but it always seems to fall to the bottom of my to-do list. He's now a 2 year old sheltie/border collie, so I don't know if he's too old to start learning a new sport? I know there are some agility clubs around me, since I've seen their equipment set up around the animal shelter where the local dog park is, but I'm not sure of any other sports. Odin's pretty fast and too smart for his own good so I'm sure he'd be good at a sport if he picked it up, I just need to make time to get him into a class.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast