Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,925

2 members and 2,923 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP growing very slow??

I'm not really sure if this is normal or not. My 'girl' I got from Petsmart back in March seems to be growing really slowly. When I first got her, she weighed 160-165g and I weighed her today and she was at 269g. Is 100g in 7 months slow or normal?

She has no problems feeding and has never refused a meal. She sheds normally but only poops when she sheds. That 260g weight up there isn't empty so she probably weighs a little less than that. She's on rat pups and eats one weekly while the male bp I got a week before her in March is already up to weaned rats and has visibly grown.

When I first got her, we had a good battle with mites. We got through it and she seems really healthy and happy with proper temps. But I'm wondering if maybe she has parasites that are keeping her from growing properly?

I just want to get your opinion before I try and get her to a vet. It's going to be tricky because she doesn't poop often and the vet is 2+ hours away. I also don't drive so I'll have to convince someone to drive me, which means I can't just call them up randomly and ask if they'll take me to the vet because she has finished shedding and has decided to poop...

Any help is appreciated
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    If she's eating, pooping, and shedding then she is fine. They all grow at different rates.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AllThatInThemGenes (10-29-2015)

Thanks
    I don't think thats something too much to worry about as long as your husbandry is good and that shes eating. However, I don't think anyone on here would be able to give you a solid answer as you know, their growth rates are varied. I know the vet is far for you but I think that would be your best bet. If she was showing signs of stress, it would be easier to tell why, but honestly she may be just a slow grower.
    Last edited by Mittens; 10-28-2015 at 01:53 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ball Python (Lucille Ball) - Super Russo / White Diamond [Born Nov. 2014]

Thanks

Re: BP growing very slow??

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If she's eating, pooping, and shedding then she is fine. They all grow at different rates.
    That's what I was thinking but I told someone and they said she's probably sick and has parasites. They made it seem like this huge deal and I was neglecting her by not taking her... But if she's doing everything she should be doing, I figured she was okay. Thanks

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The main question is how much are you feeding and how often?

What does the animal look like?

I really don't pay attention to numbers matter of fact I never weigh my own animals but I pay attention to general health and look.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (10-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    100g in 7 months is quite little for eating weekly, but I think some photos of her in good lighting in a down shot would help! Maybe some side shots too, just in case.

Thanks

She eats one 25-30g pup weekly. As far as how she looks, she seems pretty healthy to me. No loose skin, no visible spine... Here's some pics.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazzaram For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-29-2015),meganmarkita15 (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Have you tried moving her up a size of rat, or feeding her a little more often, say every 5 days instead of every 7. For a female, she is a bit on the skinny side, and her head is large for her body size. Picky eaters and slow growers happens, of course, but that doesn't mean you can't try to help her along. I'm definitely not worried by her appearance at all, she doesn't look malnourished at all.
    1.0 Josiah - Super Pastel het SK Axanthic
    0.1 Abigail - Spider het SK Axanthic
    1.0 Moqui - Pug - Rescued from a Meth lab
    1.0 Winston - Min-Pin, Chihuahua, Dachshund mix, rescue
    1.0 Buddha - Gray Tabby - baby of a neighborhood stray we took in
    1.0 Precious(like the ring) - Siamese - Sister to above

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FranklinMorphs View Post
    Have you tried moving her up a size of rat, or feeding her a little more often, say every 5 days instead of every 7. For a female, she is a bit on the skinny side, and her head is large for her body size. Picky eaters and slow growers happens, of course, but that doesn't mean you can't try to help her along. I'm definitely not worried by her appearance at all, she doesn't look malnourished at all.
    I posted before about moving her up a size and was told to keep her on pups. The next size up from the breeder, the weaned rats, are pretty big and I'm not sure she can handle them. Maybe if I get the weaned rats from the Petstore for her... They usually run smaller. I just don't want to push her to the next size until she's ready.

I want to add!!! I have no idea if she's actually a female. They said they thought she was but they weren't sure. I've just been going with it. I have no idea how to sex a snake and I'd be afraid to hurt her. There aren't any breeders in my small city so I can't get someone else to do it, either.
    Last edited by hazzaram; 10-28-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hazzaram View Post
    I posted before about moving her up a size and was told to keep her on pups. The next size up from the breeder, the weaned rats, are pretty big and I'm not sure she can handle them. Maybe if I get the weaned rats from the Petstore for her... They usually run smaller. I just don't want to push her to the next size until she's ready.

I want to add!!! I have no idea if she's actually a female. They said they thought she was but they weren't sure. I've just been going with it. I have no idea how to sex a snake and I'd be afraid to hurt her. There aren't any breeders in my small city so I can't get someone else to do it, either.
    You could try feeding every 5 days instead. They're done digesting around day 3 I believe. We've raised all of ours on a 5 day schedule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast