Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,737

5 members and 3,732 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

guinea pigs living outside in winter?

I checked piggy sites, forums, etc. and could find no real answer. IMHO, most of these pet owners are a tad hysterical.

Anyway, I was given a terrific little piggy this last spring, in return for a favor. I simply put him in the juvie rabbit grow-out pen (7'X16'), and he has run with young rabbits all summer. Now that the weather is getting cold, I am concerned about how much cold he can take. The pen is roofed, it has dry places to burrow and get out of the wind, and he hangs out pretty closely with the bunnies. This is NM, zone 7a, IIRC figs, persimmone, pecans, pomegranites, and rosemary all do fine here. It gets cold, but not Mid-western or New England cold.

I would much rather he stay with the rabbits. If not for the danger, I think he would too. He never was very tame with people.

Anyone else have experience with wintering guinea pigs in a similar climate?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: guinea pigs living outside in winter?

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    I checked piggy sites, forums, etc. and could find no real answer. IMHO, most of these pet owners are a tad hysterical.

Anyway, I was given a terrific little piggy this last spring, in return for a favor. I simply put him in the juvie rabbit grow-out pen (7'X16'), and he has run with young rabbits all summer. Now that the weather is getting cold, I am concerned about how much cold he can take. The pen is roofed, it has dry places to burrow and get out of the wind, and he hangs out pretty closely with the bunnies. This is NM, zone 7a, IIRC figs, persimmone, pecans, pomegranites, and rosemary all do fine here. It gets cold, but not Mid-western or New England cold.

I would much rather he stay with the rabbits. If not for the danger, I think he would too. He never was very tame with people.

Anyone else have experience with wintering guinea pigs in a similar climate?
    What is the range of temperatures you experience? I have done it successfully in weather 30 degrees and above with a sheltered area for them to get into. If it dips below 30 frequently, I'd recommend some additional heat. Regardless of temperature, however, I would provide some kind of solid-walled structure (think dog house) filled with hay, shavings and all sorts of things for the pig to get warm in. It works best if there's another pig for him to cuddle with, but if he's close with the rabbits, that shouldn't be a huge issue. If you decide to keep him outside, monitor him. Each pig is an individual, so they may have different tolerance levels for cold. Also, watch for mites. Mites are a pain to get rid of...
    0.1 Onyx Pastel
    0.1 Bumblebee Het Red Axanthic
    0.1 Cinnamon Fire
    0.1 Mahogany
    0.1 Mojave Bumblebee
    0.1 Super Pastel Pinstripe
    0.1 Super Pastel Spinner
    0.1 Sherbert Fly
    0.1 Calico
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 SuperFly
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Spider (possible pastel)
    1.0 Pastel Vanilla
    1.0 GHI Het Red Axanthic

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Albino Corn Snake ("temporarily" caring for him)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Penultimate For This Useful Post:

distaff (10-28-2015),Megg (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I would think since they live in the mountains in South America, as long as he has shelter, he'd probably be okay. I know a couple people who keep outdoor cavy and I don't remember them having issues.

It would really depend on how cold it gets there with you though.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

distaff (10-28-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm afraid he will have to come in soon. He is hard to catch - so I don't want to chase after him every day. Otherwise, I would let him out during the nicer days, and bring him in for the nights. The guy who gave him to me is planning to get me another when one from an unrelated litter becomes available. Looking forward to it - they are cute as all get out, and funny to watch.

My original plan several months ago was to breed them. Thought they would be good for the eventual snakes. (Turns out, most keepers feel the hide is too hard for snakes to digest - even the Peruvians just traditionally singe the hair off; apparently skinning them is a pain.) I know they breed slowly, but for me, they aren't any extra work when raised with rabbits.

The house is filling up...two days ago I draged in our Monstera (I think that is what it is), Basically, the Anaconda of house plants. (I think an anaconda enclosure might even take up less room.) It weighs at least 80 pounds. It was a pain to live with for the last two winters, and this summer, it grew even bigger. I don't want the thing to die...it's glorious...but, we can't continue to LIVE with it!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    I'm afraid he will have to come in soon. He is hard to catch - so I don't want to chase after him every day. Otherwise, I would let him out during the nicer days, and bring him in for the nights. The guy who gave him to me is planning to get me another when one from an unrelated litter becomes available. Looking forward to it - they are cute as all get out, and funny to watch.

My original plan several months ago was to breed them. Thought they would be good for the eventual snakes. (Turns out, most keepers feel the hide is too hard for snakes to digest - even the Peruvians just traditionally singe the hair off; apparently skinning them is a pain.) I know they breed slowly, but for me, they aren't any extra work when raised with rabbits.

The house is filling up...two days ago I draged in our Monstera (I think that is what it is), Basically, the Anaconda of house plants. (I think an anaconda enclosure might even take up less room.) It weighs at least 80 pounds. It was a pain to live with for the last two winters, and this summer, it grew even bigger. I don't want the thing to die...it's glorious...but, we can't continue to LIVE with it!
    You don't have to deal with chasing him, really. You can just put a dog house in his pen with hay and shavings in it if there's enough space. They will go in when they're cold.
    0.1 Onyx Pastel
    0.1 Bumblebee Het Red Axanthic
    0.1 Cinnamon Fire
    0.1 Mahogany
    0.1 Mojave Bumblebee
    0.1 Super Pastel Pinstripe
    0.1 Super Pastel Spinner
    0.1 Sherbert Fly
    0.1 Calico
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 SuperFly
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Spider (possible pastel)
    1.0 Pastel Vanilla
    1.0 GHI Het Red Axanthic

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Albino Corn Snake ("temporarily" caring for him)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Penultimate View Post
    You don't have to deal with chasing him, really. You can just put a dog house in his pen with hay and shavings in it if there's enough space. They will go in when they're cold.
    Actually, an insulated little portable crate is a great idea! I do "The Check" every night around 9pm - making sure the main gates are padlocked, the sheds are locked, the electric fence is on...etc. If he is trying to keep warm in the crate, I can just pick it up, and bring him in at that time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Also, a easier way to catch them is to make a little lane with concrete blocks and bait him in. If it has a turn, he'll think he can run through it, and you could be able to block the entrance and pick him up easier. I know of one person who caught a dozen in a yard that way. I guess they don't learn not to go in there after the food.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "