Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,641

1 members and 2,640 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
    Thanks

Smile Archispirostrepus Gigas

It's not a Ball Python or a Tarantula, but I recently added two new multi-legged members to the family. Meet my new Archispirostrepus Gigas pair, Destiny (10" female, Stargate Universe) and Enterprise (8" male, Star Trek), from Ward's Science. A. Gigas was one of my very first pets as a child, but it was difficult finding another after my first passed away (Torpedo, 11 1/2" female, 7 years) due to tougher import restrictions on them at the time. Imagine how excited I was to finally find a nearby seller with all the proper import and shipping permits. They finally arrived earlier today, but I was not going to be home so I had FedEx hold them for me at my local FedEx office. Despite the blaze orange "HANDLE WITH CARE IT'S ALIVE!" signage on it, I was disappointed to see the teller handling it as if it was just a normal package (tossing it on the table, and then flipping it onto it's side). She was very shocked when I told her there was live animals inside and that she should be more careful. Thankfully everyone was okay when I got home, but I wish FedEx would pay a bit more attention to the packages they are handling.

1.0 Mojave BP - Milo
    1.0 Border Collie - Riley
    0.1 Cat - Ella

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grunerhund For This Useful Post:

Fraido (04-17-2016),John1982 (10-27-2015),Reinz (10-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Hmm, never thought of those as pets before. Pretty cool.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Registered User Albinoballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Archispirostrepus Gigas

I love it!!! Looks like some of those creepy giant critters I find under big rocks in the river. But I think the ones I find are the ones that bite and have less legs. The biggest I've ever seen though about the same size as your "creature"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    That's a beautiful rimless setup! Do they live together in there? :o I'm thinking that they burrow, with the thick substrate?

(I'm a wussy to touch them in real life, but really cool to admire them from your photos)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    That's a beautiful rimless setup! Do they live together in there? :o I'm thinking that they burrow, with the thick substrate?

(I'm a wussy to touch them in real life, but really cool to admire them from your photos)
    x2 of all this! The setup looks awesome, very nice aesthetic. And I first thought to myself, "I could totally hold one of those!" But then I thought about all those legs.

Really cute little guys though!! What do they eat?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kriwu View Post
    x2 of all this! The setup looks awesome, very nice aesthetic. And I first thought to myself, "I could totally hold one of those!" But then I thought about all those legs.

Really cute little guys though!! What do they eat?
    Thank you. Millipedes are great diggers and need a deep substrate in order to dig tunnels, molt, and to breed (the female will create a burrow/nest for her eggs, which she will guard until they hatch). Millipedes are very peaceful critters so can be kept communally in the same enclosure (though I do have an extra enclosure just in case). They are being kept together as I am planning on breeding them. They are very gentle and easy to handle (their legs tickle a bit as they walk over you). They do secrete an irritating, brown liquid when they feel stressed or threatened, but unless you are sensitive to it it really isn't much of a problem (just be sure to wash your hands before and after handling). They eat various fruits and vegetables (banana, cucumber, lettuce) as well as dry iguana kibble (Rep-Cal Iguana Food, you can also feed dry cat or dog kibble).

This morning.

And this is how I found them when I got home from work, fast asleep.
    Last edited by Grunerhund; 10-28-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    1.0 Mojave BP - Milo
    1.0 Border Collie - Riley
    0.1 Cat - Ella

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grunerhund For This Useful Post:

Fraido (04-17-2016)