Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,373

2 members and 2,371 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Split Ventral Scales?

I've looked around the Internet and can't quite find a situation equal to my own. I'm not sure how long this has been the case either because I simply hadn't noticed it before or wasn't particularly looking for it, but my BP seems to have some split or torn ventral scales. I believe it may be a combination of his tank's height and what's inside of it. I noticed at first he would get up on top of the suction-cup plants, then slide off, so I lowered them. Now, in the wee hours of the night, he'll slither up the side of his cage up to the screen (17" up), hold up for about 90 seconds, then just drop. He doesn't slowly return to the floor, just drops. I've been awoken by this once, after which I observed him doing it. I believe he's doing this when I'm away or asleep, and, as a result, he's falling across the wood I have in the tank, thus damaging his ventral scales.

I'm still waiting on my 421D, which should be here in about two weeks (Mr. Ronne has been moving shops, or so he's told me). I hope that the reduction in height will stop him from doing this.

What do you all recommend? Should he take a dip in a solution of betadine and warm water (at a light tea color)?

As always, pictures are worth a thousand words:

As you can see, the damage seems to be linear versus sporadic. I don't think it's scale rot because his terrarium is dry besides a few light mists during the day.

Will this damage come out with the next shed? I'm really worried for the little guy. He doesn't seem to be in any pain as a result of it, but this sort of damage is never good.

Damon, 18, VA

Balls

1.0 Het Albino (Archimedes) (752g)
    0.1 Pastel Genetic Stripe (Ada) (198g)

"Ssslipperyy Sssnaakkeee!"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i can't really see what your talking about in the pix, but it sounds like you're talking about the umbilical cord line. this is totally normal, a split in the scale from the snake's umbilical cord to the yolk sack when it was in the egg. it's the line in the belly that looks split belly scales.

there's a thread in the breeding section now that shows someone tying off an umbilical cord of a new hatchling. that one is kinda gnarly, but what u got is normal and nothing to worry about.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: Split Ventral Scales?

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i can't really see what your talking about in the pix, but it sounds like you're talking about the umbilical cord line. this is totally normal, a split in the scale from the snake's umbilical cord to the yolk sack when it was in the egg. it's the line in the belly that looks split belly scales.

there's a thread in the breeding section now that shows someone tying off an umbilical cord of a new hatchling. that one is kinda gnarly, but what u got is normal and nothing to worry about.
    This BP is about two years of age, but I'm not sure if what you're talking about lasts that long. In the second picture in my post, at least to me, the ventral scales look almost tattered. They don't look as cohesive and uniform as:

Damon, 18, VA

Balls

1.0 Het Albino (Archimedes) (752g)
    0.1 Pastel Genetic Stripe (Ada) (198g)

"Ssslipperyy Sssnaakkeee!"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    ok, i see what you're saying in the second pix. the belly scale looks a worn, more than normal wear and tear. it might not improve with 1 shed, but will get better and better with each one.

the good thing is that the scales do not look infected, inflammated or irritated. it just looks a little beat up. keep up proper husbandry and new skin will replace this one.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    What's your humidity at right now?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ball Python (Lucille Ball) - Super Russo / White Diamond [Born Nov. 2014]