Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,667

4 members and 2,663 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Non-Profit Animal Rescue - advice

MODS-Please move to the appropriate forum should this not be the place.

Hi, all

Recently, myself and a few close friends have been looking to begin an animal rescue organization. This is not going to be something that will happen quickly over night and certainly will not turn a profit. It will require a lot of volunteered time and money from our own pockets in the beginning. So far, we've thought of a bazillion and one names and just can't seem to come up with the name we need for this organization.

The main goals are as follows:

1. Take in unwanted and stray animals, rehabilitate physically and psychologically, and relocate.
    2. Help needy families who own pets with their pets needs such as food, toys, dog beds, etc..and also facilitate low cost/free vaccination clinics at our facility.
    3. Educate owners and future owners alike on basic needs for their pet, offer obedience training courses/resources, etc.
    4. Ultimately, change some lives - not just for the four legged ones, but 2 legged folks as well.

We can't seem to find a name, so I need some ideas!
    Naturally, PAWS was the first idea...Preservation of Animal Welfare Society or something like that...it's a dud. there's a million PAWS' out there.
    Then we came up with SpaceCoast Animal Welfare Association(no acronym), but that limits our organization to our local region, and ya never know, it could be huge.

It doesn't need to be an acronym or anything extra clever, just appropriate and will hopefully make a statement.

Any and all input on a name for such an organization is appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I can't help with a name but if you all are doing this for-real then form a corporation and get your 501c3 status before proceeding.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Megg (10-19-2015),Stewart_Reptiles (10-19-2015),wolfy-hound (10-19-2015)

Thanks
    Yes, this is for-real. Incorporating and filing for a 501(c)(3) will of course be done-thanks for reiterating. I am only asking for name suggestions at this time.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yikes.
    It would be best if ONE person takes responsibility and is in charge. The others can *help*.
    HUGE responsibility.
    Money??

Any prior experience in this area? I have volunteered at two animal shelters. Also done volunteer work at a battered women's shelter, and a homeless shelter.

None of them run on love or good intentions alone.

The name for now is not important. Just call it "The Shelter," "The Rescue," whatever. You will have a name by the time it gets off the ground.

Furthermore, not to throw another wet blanket on anything - don't ever underestimate the number of "pets" out there that are in terrible circumstances, nor the base nature of your fellow human. It's ugly out there.

Thanks
    This is all understood, and not the advice I'm seeking. I appreciate your input, though.
    You have to have a board with a minimum of three directors to qualify as a not-for-profit business, per the research that I've done anyways. These board members and their job duties have been discussed - the job duties continue to grow of course. As mentioned, some start-up money will come out of pocket. One member is currently working as a grant writer and program manager for the Sexual Assault Victim Services department at our State Attorney's office - there are many grants available to organizations such as the one that we plan to develop.
    Two of us have volunteered at the local Humane Society, although it has been some time.
    The local Humane Society is currently operated by our county Sherriff's office, with a family member being a detective under the Sherriff for over 30 years & has a close relationship with this individual. This resource will go along way, as we anticipate working closely with the Animal Services department at the Sherriff's office.

Yes-it's ugly out there. There are cruel circumstances that will be encountered. Unpleasant interactions each and every day. None of us are expecting a perfect situation or to run some sort of sanctuary for unwanted pets.

If anyone can think of a name, shoot it my way - please!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveySingle For This Useful Post:

duckschainsaw (10-19-2015),wolfy-hound (10-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: Non-Profit Animal Rescue - advice

Quote Originally Posted by SteveySingle View Post
    Yes, this is for-real. Incorporating and filing for a 501(c)(3) will of course be done-thanks for reiterating. I am only asking for name suggestions at this time.
    Well, you can play the name game like we do in government... figure out a cool acronym and work back from there (j/k!).

But seriously, based on your location, as an example if you were going to focus on exotics only you could be Titusville Exotic Animal Rescue (TEAR).

Thanks
    Nice - I want to keep location out of the mix in hopes of growing outside of my small town and area - I greatly appreciate you suggesting a name though. If ya think of anything else, let me know!

Thanks
    If it were me, I'd want to have "animal rescue" or "animal adoption" in the name, reason being that when someone does an internet search, you want your name to fit what they will type in as a search. Then I'd start it with a positive adjective word or phrase, the way retirement homes to to keep them from sounding like a prison for old people. Something like "helpful hands animal rescue and adoption".

I think it's admirable what you're seeking to do; I see a lot of these places fail, though. There were two exotic animal rescue shelters in my city; they both shut down because they became overwhelmed with time commitment and financial issues: it's easier to find animals no longer wanted than people who will want them. Best of luck!
    1.0 mojave Plissken
    0.1 lesser pastel

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Good luck with the rescue! I hope it works out for you!
    This name popped in my head: Overlooked Exotics (Rescue and Adoption)
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    So I know you are focused on the name, which is fine, but the name would be the least of my worries at this point, I know there are tons of grants out there, but the statement "a little startup money out of pocket at first" is what raised my eyebrows. Even if this isn't the advice you want to hear it needs to be put out there, from a rescue, non-profit stand point, grants will not be enough and you will constantly be putting in money out of pocket. I dedicate my time with an all volunteer rescue that has been going for 10 years. Everyone up to the founder works full time, and volunteers their off time to the rescue, we generally at any given time have 17 dogs in our care. The amount of money spent on 17 dogs with vet bills, boarding, adoption events, food, etc. is enormous. You just need to be ready for the realization that you are not talking about a little money out of pocket, our biggest fundraiser every year is a 5K charity run. We raised 21K dollars, that will last us 1 month.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-20-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast