Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,883

0 members and 2,883 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Got my first blood python, any tips?

I've purchased a new snake recently, a baby Sumatran short Tail-Tailed python (hopefully this is the correct section, I've seen some people say blood pythons are just the Borneos, not the Sumatran). I got him/her from LLLReptile on Wednesday the 14th or Thursday the 15th, can't remember when. got here extremely fast (California to Louisiana overnight was actually pretty nice of them). Any tips other than husbandry? I know they don't need to be as hot as ball pythons which need a hotspot of 90-ish and around 46-52% humidity. I've got the shorty at about 84-86 on the hot, and the cold is maybe 79degrees? Humidity for the shorty is I think 60% right now, and i regularly mist the enclosure. has not eaten, so possible stress from settling in to the new home.

I made the mistake of trying to move the little booger to get something out of the enclosure and forgot they needed to be held with 2 hands. long story short, snake wriggled around and i got tagged for the very first time.

So...feeding tips? anything guys?

(Also, my little ball python Vinny will have his first birthday/purchased-day on November 21st

Thanks

Re: Got my first blood python, any tips?

I have a Blood and a Borneo I love there personality, you need to really learn how to read your baby My first and only bite was form my Borneo Short Tail and this was mostly my fault I new before I went to pick him up I was gonna get bit I did he let go and with in seconds had the F/T rat pup in his mouth, it all happened so fast.. I think your going enjoy these Bloods. They do make a Ball Python seem weak they have alot more power than the Ball Python. Your right on the higher humidity, I also soak mine in my special tub with a strong locked lid they seem to love it...

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

I wanted to also share they like deep aspen shavings because they build tunnels everywhere they think they are real smart. Hope some of this helps you and keep us posted and Pictures too.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    HLH Reptiles has two good videos on care and handling the short-tails.

Based on what VPI says, I would not call a Sumatran P. curtis a "blood." Just too confusing. The thee short-tails are different enough that they classified as three different species. (Can't remember the Latin at the moment - one is P. brongermansi, or something similar.) Also, the Sumatrans have a reputation for a better temperament than the original "Bloods".
    Last edited by distaff; 10-17-2015 at 01:05 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (10-20-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    (wrong spell on Curtus from above)

Edit: some quick info. from VPI.

P. Curtus from southern and western Sumatra
    P. Breitensteini is the Borneo python, and the only python endemic to the island of Borneo
    P. Brongersmai is the Blood python found in Malasia, Sumatra, Thailand, and other islands

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    You can drop your hot spot down a little further if your shorty seems pissy, most people keep them right around low-mid 80's. My cages run 78-80 on the cool and 82-84 on the hot. Trying to just warm my room now so I might drop their heat and leave it ambient 81 or so. Most are pretty eager eaters and grab anything right off the tongs although some I just have to leave the feeder and they grab it after.

Thanks
    A humid hide will be good for sheds. These guys are prone to bad sheds even at 60%. No need to worry about feeding, SSTs will eat anything, mine take chicken, quail, rabbit and rat without hesitation. Great snakes, very calm demeanors. I think you've already been bit more than I have in a decade of keeping them.

Thanks

Kevin95 how are you and your Blood doing, I just had to sit and stare at my Blood his Red is amazing . Have you had a chance to take a picture or two lol we love pictures. At First my Blood and Boreno would be very vocal not so much anymore but follow me with piercing Eyes we slowly learned about each other and I bought a Snake Hook for those I need help after he's out of his Palace he is fine..Some were is my thread on Feeding night and I got bit, go and look at my hand it bleed good I doctored it and went on feeding my small family. This was a learning lesson for me I know no what to expect and learned more on staying in tune with your animal. Just some tips from my Hobby room to yours.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Kevin95 Keep an eye on things like possible mites in the water bowl you will be looking for little small black dots . Be prepared for a possible mite break out with some Reptile Relief I ordered mine from LLL Reptile And for a better price I bought the gallon its good to stock this in your supplies.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58