Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,263

2 members and 1,261 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Misting Systems?

Hi all,

I just got my first ball python. He's a normal morph, very lovely to me. I have him in a 20L tank. I'm misting his tank often to keep humidity between 50 and 60%. I'm wondering if misting Systems are worthwhile? I will also be changing the bedding from Aspen to soil and Orchard bark when I do his first full tank cleaning.

I realize tubs probably do a much better job of holding in humidity but our many creatures cages take a lot of living space so we try to keep them reasonably attractive.

We are also considering building our own plexiglass lid.

My goal when he is ready for his permanent home is to have a full vivarium type of set up. But that will take us 6 months to a year to get fully set up.

But in the end I want my new little buddy to be healthy and happy, I want what is best.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Misting Systems?

Save the money and skip on the mister and purchase a reptile made tank. Like an animal plastics or similar or build your own would be your best bet in the long run. Tin foil or a plexiglass top will help but glass it self is a poor insulator so its a constant battle weather heat or humidity. .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thank you for replying Frosty, I appreciate it. I will look in the animal plastics I have seen it mentioned before. I think until that point where is ready for a permanent home I will make a humidity box or two with very moist Moss replace it daily to see if that helps and also it'll give him a moist hide that may help when he is ready to shed.

That's one of biggest concerns right now. I'm home enough to keep it in check with misting and moss but he has not had his first shed with me yet and I'm concerned about keeping the humidity up when that happens.

Banned
    Thanks

Humidity hides work amazing and that would be your best bet with tinfoil on the screen....switching your substrate is going to make a big difference for humidity as well.... the animal plastics or similar cages are amazing...a little pricy but well worth it in the long run...i make my own cages out of plastic that cost right around 100$ for a 4 foot cage. It helps that I work at a wood shop...there are some great diy builds on this forum in the diy section. .I will be posting one my self a soon as I get back to work and get the time to take step by step pictures and get them posted up

Last edited by frostysBP; 10-09-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thank you frosty. My boyfriend is going to help my make the hides over the weekend and I am so happy my thermostat will be here this weekend as well, I believe. My poor buddy has been okay but I have had to keep the heating pad unplugged.

I did check out the Animal Plastics cages they are really amazing. The look is clean and it seems so much easier than the glass tanks. So within a year I plan on getting my new friend a setup like that. It looks very nice, easier to maintain humidity and there are so many options to have the cage customized with helpful things, the locks (I'm super paranoid about him getting out). So it is a really good goal to save up for. And honestly, for the price is pretty reasonable. I have ferrets...I have a cage that is almost six feet tall and taking up a huge chunk of my living room right now but that cage will last for years and years and was worth every penny. So it's worth saving up for good homes for our animals.

I would love to read and see one of your builds. My boyfriend can be a bit crafty with tools. I'm sure he'd find a step by step very interesting and inspiring.

Thank you again frosty for your help and insight. It's appreciated.

Banned
    Thanks

No problem at all thats why were here.... you will never go wrong with a cage like that very secure and will last your lifetime thats for sure...feal free to ask away..

Thanks
    I'll definitely be getting something like that as my snake's permanent home. The misting has gotten old very fast.