Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

0 members and 2,811 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Over-worried about bp not eating this week?

So my ball python Cassiopeia is usually a good eater. I have had her for about a month now and she has eaten every week for me since I've gotten her aside from the first week but I was still learning her feeding preferences. I've noticed she will take faster when her food is warmer or on the hot side (not enough to harm her though). I thawed and warmed the pinky as usual and she striked the mouse and missed it. Then she went towards it again but wouldn't lunge. I felt the mouse after and it was cool, so I dipped in in to some hot water to warm it up and felt it again before trying once more. The same thing happened. It seemed that she was taking a while to actually go after it and it would cool too much for her liking by the time she was about to so she wouldn't eat it. She has never had a problem with me feeling or touching the mouse with my hands before either so its not my scent on it (i wash my hands thoroughly before and after feeding and handling her). I decided to leave the mouse at the opening of her favorite hide and the one she was in when feeding her and figured I'd leave it there overnight and see if she ate when I awoke in the morning. I'm hoping if she was hungry she would settle for a room temperature mouse, although she only seems to eat if I use tongs and make it seem alive. The ambient temperature in her tub is 70 degrees right now and the conditions are all normal so it wasn't that. It was my last pinky so I'm gonna head to the store tomorrow and stock up on some more but I'm just worried about her not eating this week considering she is still young (probably 6 months*) and my friend who is carelessly irresponsible just had his snake pass away due to not eating (he forgot to feed it for multiple weeks... I wish he would just have given me his snake to care for rather than have it die due to poor treatment and improper care... I offered to take it but he wanted money I didn't have for it even though he didn't want him any more. sigh.) and this spooked me a lot and made me worry and be very careful to take the best care I possibly can of my snake. I feel like I am way over worried about it but I decided I might feel better getting some second opinions.

*don't know exactly how old she is

Thanks

Re: Over-worried about bp not eating this week?

Couple of suggestions:

1. Dont offer a wet mouse they seem to not prefer them that way, heat it up with a blow dryer right before serving.

2. An ambient of 70 degrees is too cold. Ambient should be about 80, and basking side should be 90. Often times the snakes won't eat if the temps are off.

3. Also at 6 months your snake is probably too big for pinky mice. Move up to hoppers.

Hope this helps!
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    1 week is nothing to worry about.

Though it is age dependent and size, there isn't much to worry about if they refuse for almost a year.

I have a 4 year old female here that went off feed for 8 months, fed in late June and hasn't eaten since.

That's royal pythons for you, and unless there are underlying issues associated with the shutdown, or issues developing from the shutdown, there is no need to worry.

One reason royals are the longest living species of snake is because they can and often do, regulate their food intake.

Some snakes will never refuse food and are easily fed to death, or at least to an early death.

Now after saying that, one must also be in tune with the physical appearance of their animal and also behavioral changes.

If there is a drastic amount of weight being lost, reoccurring sheds and things just don't look right, you may want to check for illness.

Try not offering weekly. Offering too often can result in stresses and that can lead to refusal.

My guess is the snake will eagerly take food if you wait it out.

Make certain you have ample fresh water for it at all times, and welcome to the world of finding out royal pythons decide when they eat and you don't.

Edit:

I didn't see the 6 months old part and also missed the low ambient temps.

Get the temps squared away. 1 week is still nothing, and it is probably time to move up in prey size.

Scent/store your prey offering in a bag of frozen African soft furs if you can get them.

I still bet the snake will eat within another week.
    Last edited by Gio; 10-08-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks

Thank you!!!! I was considering upping her to hoppers because it didn't seem to leave a lump in her tummy but I was also told to wait until she is settled before switching her food. I'll pick up a couple hoppers later today. Also thank you for pointing this out about the temp. Someone told me that this temp was fine but I'll get right on getting it up. I'm not sure if the temp is a bit warmer however since I have innacurate analog thermometers :/ getting a digital however asap. And I didn't know that about them being wet so that helps too. Thanks so much!!

Thanks

Get her weight in grams and start weighing her weekly and tracking it. Make sure the husbandry is up to par (temps, humidity, plenty of hiding areas). Minimal handling except to change water and spot clean. I like the saying " A happy Ball Python is a hiding ball python". Just a side note you might want to change to rats at some point because when she grows bigger you will only have to feed 1 rat versus multiple mice. Their food should be about the width of their widest part of their body. My male albino currently eats frozen/thawed rat pups and he is around 220 grams.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dexterune For This Useful Post:

Cassiopeia (10-09-2015)

Thanks

I have heard about that and that switching over to rats earlier seems best. I'm going to have to check if my local store sells rats. I'm still not sure if she is ready size wise for hoppers but she could definitely eat fuzzies. I'm 17 and my mom went to pick her food up without me and picked up pinkies again :\ I fed her a pinky today and she gladly took it. I don't know if I should try feeding her two pinkies or just wait til she finishes off the pinkies to upgrade. I'll weigh her as soon as possible (a couple days considering she just ate) and will post it here because I have no idea how old she is however I'm assuming she's at least 4 months plus.

Here are some pictures that can hopefully give somewhat of an idea of how big she is

Thanks
    what are you using for a thermometer? I hope you're not using that little plastic dial one that I see in the picture. your snake could be either getting ready to shed, or more likely, the husbandry is off.

Thanks

Month old picture :p I got a digital thermometer/hygrometer asap but used those at first because I wasn't aware of analog thermometers bad reputation.

Thanks
    So I weighed my snake today and found out she weighs 71 grams so I was way off by estimating she was 4-6 months old based on that weight. She looks healthy for her size and I also am going to keep her on pinkies until she hits about 150 grams or as I find that she needs an upgrade. I found this chart after doing some research and am going to use it as reference (however snakes grow at different rates so I will also take her size and if I feel she is ready for an upgrade into consideration).