Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

2 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: New to Cresties

Thanks

New to Cresties

Hey guys! a couple weeks ago I went to a local reptile expo, and wound up taking a crested Gecko home with me (a little impulsively if I am honest). I love him and he seems to be doing great, and while I spent quite a bit of time talking to his breeder about proper care I figure a few other opinions can't hurt. I got him a banana papaya powdered food, and I'm mostly wondering how often i HAVE to give him crickets, or if they are more of a treat? I know they sell other powdered foods with a supplement for the crickets in it, but they were out of stock of that kind so i just got the pure fruit one.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can offer cricket one or twice a week, this is not something you have to do as crested do fine on CGD however you definitely see a difference in growth between animal who eats CGD only and those offered crickets.

Remember in the wild Cresties diet is mainly composed of fruits not insects.

Also remember to gutload and dust your crickets before feeding them and do not leave crickets over night with your cresties any uneaten crickets should be removed.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Kittencaboodles (09-29-2015)

Thanks
    Cresties can thrive on prepared diets alone. As Deborah said, yes, in the wild they eat mostly fruit but offering crickets won't hurt. I would not recommend leaving crickets in the cage overnight as they can nip at your gecko, especially in a smaller cage.
    Current Collection:
    2.1.0 Corn Snakes (Blizzard Male, Motley Pair) "Vapor" "Pascal" "Europa"
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos (Harlequin Male and Bicolour female) "Luke" "Amber"
    1.0.0 Asian Water Dragon "Smaug"
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon (Normal Het Hypo?) "Spike"
    1.1.2 Flying Geckos (uhh..bark morphs? ) "Tango" "Mango" "Kenny" "Sterling"
    0.0.1 Emperor Scorpion "Sub-Zero"
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula "Harry"
    And some tropical fish (neon tetras, zebra danios) originally used for science project

Thanks

Re: New to Cresties

Quote Originally Posted by Kittencaboodles View Post
    Hey guys! a couple weeks ago I went to a local reptile expo, and wound up taking a crested Gecko home with me (a little impulsively if I am honest). I love him and he seems to be doing great, and while I spent quite a bit of time talking to his breeder about proper care I figure a few other opinions can't hurt. I got him a banana papaya powdered food, and I'm mostly wondering how often i HAVE to give him crickets, or if they are more of a treat? I know they sell other powdered foods with a supplement for the crickets in it, but they were out of stock of that kind so i just got the pure fruit one.
    Congrats on your new crestie! They are great lizards to keep, and a lot of fun. I feed mine Pangea reptile diet along with crickets as babies and juveniles. They get crickets 1-2 times a week depending on age. Like Deborah said, growth rate of babies once they can eat crickets (with the crickets I can get this is typically about 3 weeks after hatching) is much fast than their growth rate before they are eating crickets. Most of my adults seem to "grow out of" eating crickets, so I very rarely offer them any. I have one or two that still like to eat crickets as adults, but it's rare.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page