Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,929

0 members and 2,929 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My cali king has regurged 3 times since I got her

I bought her at my local reptiday and I have allowed for 2 weeks after a regurge for her to recover. She has kept one mouse pinkie down, but this was 2 weeks ago. I offered a mouse pinkie 2 days ago and I checked on her this morning and found the pinkie slightly digested but out in the aspen. Her uth sits at 80 and the ambient temp in the room is 76. She has plenty of water, hides, and substrate to burrow in. I'm at a loss here. I don't know any local vets who know anything about reptiles, much less such a tiny snake like my girl. Please, if anyone has any theories, let me know. I don't want her to suffer. I feel like 3 regurgitations since the 4th of July is not normal.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    How are you measuring and regulating your UTH?
    My first thought is you need more heat IF your temps are true.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Gio (09-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: My cali king has regurged 3 times since I got her

Try to get the optimal temps stabilized in the enclosure first. Don't feed for a week or so bc depending on the cause the animal may refuse to feed anyway. Keep in mind that this repeated regurge may require veterinary help. Three regurges are a lot. Maybe its a parasitic infection or a obstruction in the digestive tract. Go with a much smaller meal if you are going to give it another try. Remember with every regurge the animal is moving closer to a dehydrated state.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

I have a hydrofarm thermostat to regulate it and i check the hotspot with my temp gun. The care sheet i used when setting up for her said that 80 was a good warm side temp. Im wondering if cali kings can have congenital defects that predispose them to stuff like this...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Well, that's great then we can rule out the temperature possibility. I can't really say that I have heard that it could be a predisposition of kingsnakes to regurge. Does he have any abdominal swellings or protrusions? Has he been injured in anyway? Any diarrhea or discharge from the cloaca (butt)? What type of food is he eating?

Thanks

No abdominal swelling at all, and I didn't see any injuries. She's only feel fed mouse pinkies like when they're a day or two old, so nice and small. The only cloacal discharge has been poop and urates. There was a little poop this morning when I found the regurge, and it looked normal except the poop looked almost black.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashleymarie View Post
    No abdominal swelling at all, and I didn't see any injuries. She's only feel fed mouse pinkies like when they're a day or two old, so nice and small. The only cloacal discharge has been poop and urates. There was a little poop this morning when I found the regurge, and it looked normal except the poop looked almost black.

Did you ask the seller about her having any problems feeding when they had her? Try to reach out to them to see if they have any pertinent info or suggestions. How old is he?

Thanks

The breeder brought him to the Reptiday having eaten the night before, which caused her to regurge there at the guys table. He said that the snake had eaten a few times with him, but I honestly don't know, since he would bring a baby cali king less than 24 hrs after feeding it. So I'm not sure... and as for the age, he said she was a hatching from the previous October which means that the day I got her, she would have been 9 months old... and that was july, so she is almost a year old now and her circumference is the same size as when I got her... I called the breeder right before posting here, and he didn't answer so I left a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashleymarie View Post
    The breeder brought him to the Reptiday having eaten the night before, which caused her to regurge there at the guys table. He said that the snake had eaten a few times with him, but I honestly don't know, since he would bring a baby cali king less than 24 hrs after feeding it. So I'm not sure... and as for the age, he said she was a hatching from the previous October which means that the day I got her, she would have been 9 months old... and that was july, so she is almost a year old now and her circumference is the same size as when I got her... I called the breeder right before posting here, and he didn't answer so I left a message...

OK. So lets wait and see what suggestions he has. In the meantime, I would double ziplock bag and put on ice, any stool or regurgitated material from the snake. Make a appointment with the exotic vet and take her in for testing. You will feel better and if the snake needs medication that can be addressed at the same time. Regurgitating pinkies is very suspicious along with the minimal growth in 9 mos. since you bought her. Can you post pictures of her?
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-26-2015 at 04:23 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

ashleymarie (09-26-2015)

Thanks

Thank you sir. I feel much more relaxed now. Phew!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast