Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

3 members and 2,821 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    1. They are fickle feeders, you want a steadfast nom machine? Get a king instead, otherwise be prepared for winter fasts and lots of wasted rodents.

2. Not very active compared to most snakes, matter of fact, a happy bp will only come out at night most of the time. Possibly the worst display snake ever. Want something that's out and about more? Again, get a king.

3. They live 30 plus years, don't get one unless you can commit possibly half your life to one or get bored easily...

4. They are a terrible pet for most children. They need gentle handling, hate loud noises, fast movements make them nervous, and aren't awake during the day. Also see point number 3.

5. They are a poor choice for most beginning reptile keepers due to the above reasons and the fact that they require more humidity and warmth than most colubrids, and are far more easily stressed than most snakes in general. They are more of an intermediate snake.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

CKan145 (05-05-2018)

Thanks
    1. Thermostats are probably THE most important investment you can make to protect your snake.

2. Quarantine, quarantine, quarantine. This will be either easier or harder for you, depending on how much space you have, but bare minimum don't keep a new snake in the same room as the more established ones, handle the more established part of your collection first, and wash your hands in between snakes (honestly, it's probably not a bad idea to wash/sanitize your hands between every snake, established or not).

3. RESEARCH. BEFORE. YOU. GET. A. SNAKE. It's not hard, it's actually pretty fun, and you will save yourself a lot of anxiety about your snake once it arrives (bonus, your snake will also experience less anxiety about life, and that's the goal!). Research your setup- the pros and cons of pvc, glass tanks, tubs, racks- and pick what will work for your situation, the snake you're looking to get, and, to some extent, your budget. Research the breeder as well- if you're new to the hobby, a more established breeder with glowing reviews will probably be advisable over a breeder no one knows anything about. You want a healthy, happy snake so that you can establish a baseline for what to look for in potential future snakes.

4. You will think you will only want one snake. You will pick out your snake, think he/she is absolutely perfect, and briefly feel like you will never desire another snake ever again. This feeling shall pass, and you will begin wishing for some sort of monetary landfall so that you can buy just. One. (Or five). More.

5. You will probably do more hands-on learning than you expect. Your can research for months, put everything together meticulously, and your snake is still going to throw you some curve balls. They're not the most exciting snake, but they are individuals, and sometimes they will make you want to bang your head on the nearest table and shriek, if only in your head. Your critical thinking skills will improve markedly, however!
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

CKan145 (05-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Alright I’ll give it a try. Note, I have only kept males. It’s already been said they like NOT to eat, (3 to 5 months is nothing) so that’s one. Around 700 maybe 800 grams you find a lot of sperm plugs, there’s two. They love to mess their habitats as soon as you put in fresh water, number one and number two = three, get it , sorry. Once they get eating they can be machines, fart machines that is, no. 4. And husbandry is important and with that there are more ways then one to skin a cat. Fifth!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: What are the 5 MOST IMPORTANT things to know about ball pythons

Just going to add one thing since so much has already been covered:

Learn from my mistake. If you're having a snake shipped, only ship M-T-W, not on Th, in case something goes wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Just going to add one thing since so much has already been covered:

Learn from my mistake. If you're having a snake shipped, only ship M-T-W, not on Th, in case something goes wrong.
    The breeder should know better.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-05-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Get a PVC enclosure.

I know thst aquariums can be so pretty......but you will not be able to regulate heat and humidity properly. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING to keep Ginger in her gorgeous tank. Hundreds of dollars and a few years later, I gave up. I was wanted a pretty environment for Ginger, but was neglecting HER needs for a consistent heat and humidity levels. I also live in NJ where it can get really cold and really hot, so managing her levels was difficult.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12