Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,436

2 members and 3,434 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    I would place the probe in the warm side hide so you can tell the belly heat in there.
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

but the water is on the cool side and she often spills it. can the thermometer get wet? i think it only said the probe is submersible/weatherproof. would that be safe or would i ruin it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    there's no need to leave the thermometer in there all the time. Just drop it in once a day when you check on her and verify that the temps are correct. That way, when your not there, you don't have to worry about it getting wet. :wink:

I've actually seen ball pythons drag digital thermomerters into their water bowls, just by crawling around the probe cord.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    http://www.indoorhealthproducts.com/810ce.htm
    cool stuff, free shipping

edit: wow, not to mention they are 30 minutes away from me
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    Thermometers don't get instant readings so if you don't leave it in the enclosure all the time you would have to leave it in there for at least 10 minutes to get an accurate reading. I would just leave it in there just make sure its up off the "ground" so you don't have to worry about it getting wet.
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

well as it is right now (on the warm side with the probe on the cold) it's reading 90/78. that's good, right? i know it takes a while for the thermometer to read accurately, that's why i'm leaving it in there. anyway, i look at it all the time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky8926
    Thermometers don't get instant readings so if you don't leave it in the enclosure all the time you would have to leave it in there for at least 10 minutes to get an accurate reading. I would just leave it in there just make sure its up off the "ground" so you don't have to worry about it getting wet.
    10 minutes plus is a bit of an exaggeration. But even if it were correct, is 10 minutes really that long to wait? I would think that if you threw the thermometer in there a couple of times a week before you clean the cage and change out the water, by the time you were done the readding would be correct.

From experience, I am not a big fan of keeping cords or batteries inside of a ball pythons enclosure while unsupervised. But thats just me.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    I agree with Adam, I have seen batteries explode before! And that was at room temps, think of heating htem in an enclosed environment. Probe or temp guns... My probe thermometes take about 3 min to get correct temps and checked against my raytek are within .25 of a degree of each other....
    Just a reptile lover!!!!!

Thanks
    If you put it in the enclosure before you do your cleaning then the lid would be off or doors would be open allowing heat to escape so your reading wouldn't be correct. I have never seen or heard of batterys exploding unless they are heated to extreme temps and by extreme I mean 150 plus degrees. I really don't think the 95 degrees that your enclosure might get up to on the hot side is going to cause a battery to explode.
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Thanks
    I have seen 2 type of battery explode the little ones in laser pointer and a AA battery... You trust it if you like but Ill just play it safe for my animals....
    Just a reptile lover!!!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast