Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,833

0 members and 2,833 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    I really liked the simplicity of design. However, if I might make a suggestion for the folks who have built one, or are considering building one. If it's not putting out enough humidity wrap a human heating pad around the 3 ltr. I noticed a considerable difference in humidity by just raising the water temp. to 90F (low). Imagine how much it would put out on high.

Thanks
    True, but warm water = bacterial breeding ground. You have to be careful doing things like that. I'd suggest daily bleach-water rinses of the container if you want to warm the water.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    I ran warm water through mine which did up the humidity. I did have to clean it at least once every two days ( usually every day ). Call me a bit paranoid, but i felt the safer the better.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Indeed - even though I didn't warm the water (beyond pouring warm) I noticed it earned a good cleaning every couple of weeks - especially if you have it situated such that there are dips or kinks in the hoses. Worked quite well while I needed it.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    True, but warm water = bacterial breeding ground. You have to be careful doing things like that. I'd suggest daily bleach-water rinses of the container if you want to warm the water.

Very true, but with all Frankenstein contraptions there is going to be alot of cleaning involved. :lol:

Thanks
    Fair enough. It's just that it's easy to overlook things like cleaning, disinfecting, vet bills, etc., when making plans, plus some of our members might not automatically think warm + moist = bacteria.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    Would city tap water have enough chlorine to controll any bacterial infestation? That way you could change the water out every other day or so?

Thanks
    Haven't used mine since I discovered the joy of bricks. Boil 'em, use as decor, and give them a drowning at shed time. Long lasting humidity helper. Got my glass tank humidity levels and 55 to 60 consistently since I started using two-brick-flat rock hides. Get 75-80 for about four days (longer, depending on how close to the lamp they are) when I wet them for shed time. I just submerge them in a bowl of water, watch the bubbles, then take them out and set them on a paper towel for a couple minutes. When it stops creating a puddle and appears dry back in the tank it goes. Up goes humidity and Bob's yer uncle. I boil the bricks again roughly every other shed just for peace of mind.......after all they are basically stone sponges and could spawn crawlies. Works great, unless you just don't care for the look of brick in the tank. Haven't looked myself, but I suppose good ole walmart has fancier brick type stonework made for edging gardens and walkways and such.
    Just a simple idea I figured I'd throw out there

Thanks
    steelsack- thats an awesome idea... I've never heard of that before... im gonna have to try that...
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've been using terra cotta clay pot bottoms as one of the hides in each of our enclosures and noticed that after I boiled and drained them the humidity went way up for a few days, however it's been more troublesome to me than welcome as we already have a good humidity level, never needs to be raised. Same concept as the bricks I suppose.
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast