Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 492

2 members and 490 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I know this has already been asked a thousand times but I haven't seen anyone using an enclosure the same size as me so i'm going to ask. I have my 4 1/2 month old BP in a 29 gal aquarium turned on it's side. The measurements are 30"x19"x12" (LxWxH) Will this be big enough for him when his is fully grown?
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

thnx

Yup, that size should work (especially if he's a male). I keep my adults in cages that measure 33" x 17" x 5" (off the top of my head). Although, I've never kept a ball python in a tank on it's side, so I can't comment about how well that's going to work for the long term.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanks Adam. I want to eventually build a custom enclosure, especially after seeing some of them here, but in case I don't I wanted to be sure he wasn't too cramped.

-Troy
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Thanks
    Thats approximately 4 square feet. If he gets a bit bigger than 4 feet, you might consider a bigger cage. That one would work tho. My interest is perked, how are you going to keep that one open side closed? What are you using as substrate? If its loose substrate, how are you keeping it in when you remove the side? I'm a caging nerd so i'm always on the hunt for new ideas
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    I'm using a regular screen lid that I permanately *sp?* attatched using a long hing along the top so when I open it, it swings up. I'm using lid locks on the bottom to keep it closed. I attached some metal rails to the front of the lid and have plexiglass sliding in them to help keep heat/humidity in. As for the substrate I'm using aspen and I used some of the leftover plexiglass as a "dam" to keep it in the cage. Here are some pics to give you a better idea.

Front view with lid closed

Front view with lid open

hinge attaching lid to tank

litter dam
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Thanks
    Thats ingenious! What a great way to increase the floor space of an aquarium. I dig the tiki themed background
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    That's really cool! I'd love to have more detailed information about how you attached the hinge, the metal rails, and the "dam." And I agree with Carson, the bamboo background is awesome.

Thanks
    Thanks Carson and Smynx! Putting it on it's side solved 2 problems in one, it added floor space and helped keep the heat/humidity in. The bamboo looking things are placemats that I found at the dollar tree, only $1 a piece! They dress up the tank and give him a little more privacy. I still have to do some decorating i'm going to add some kind of branch for him to climb on if he wants.

The hinge, rails and dam are all glued on. I got the glue at Wal Mart it is called Power Poxy. It comes in a small white tube with purple writing. So far it is holding very good. You will have to have some clamps to hold pressure on things while the glue sets up but it didn't take very long.

-Troy
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

Thanks

rabbits/Cavies for sale

Wow, that's really cool! I had a similar setup for my leopard geckos awhile ago, only my litter dam was made of cardboard and duct tape... so it was kind of...wel ,not too great. Also, I got a screen lid that was hinged in the middle, so one side of it was attached to the tank, and the other side swung open sideways. Yours is definately more well done than mine was, lol
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Thanks
    wow, im impressed... One of my bps is in an aquarium.... I might have to do that.

very cool!
    1.0 Green tree python

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast