Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,807

1 members and 2,806 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

First time snake owner, saying hello and checking I've got everything set right

Hi Everyone, so happy to have found this forum. I'm in the odd position of now being a co-owner of a young BP, brought for my son, but cared for by us both.
    I once swore i'd never have a snake as I'm a little scared of them, but here we are and she is really beautiful

We've had her for 7 days now, she's due her first feed tonight, little worried about that, but my main concern is the temperature in the tank.
    We are using a ceramic bulb, with a cage round it so she doesn't burn, the hot end is around 90-93, when thermostat stops it drops to around 88, the cold end is around 80 at lowest and 83 highest, there are various different temp spots around the tank. We have 3 hides in the tank ( 3 foot ) but she always seems to spend her time in the one at the hot end, in her hide it measures 93.8. Is this to hot?

Any advice would be very welcomed, as i'm practically checking temperatures so often i'm even dreaming about them at night, I just want to make sure we have it all perfect for her

Thanks

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: First time snake owner, saying hello and checking I've got everything set right

Congratulations and welcome! Everything sounds fine to me. Lots of snakes prefer one hide over another. Pamela

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pbyeerts For This Useful Post:

Sonya Bailey (09-03-2015)

Thanks

Re: First time snake owner, saying hello and checking I've got everything set right

thanks pbyeerts, it's great to be here, been reading loads of threads today, and seems the optimum temperature is slightly debated, last thing I want is roasted snake

Thanks
    So we just did the first feeding attempt.. heated a mouse up and using tongs wriggled it around her hide which she was in, she grabbed it and half pulled it int the hide, then she seems to have pulled it in fully but is now sticking her head out again? Should I just leave her now? How long before I check if she's eaten it?
    Last edited by Sonya Bailey; 09-03-2015 at 03:08 PM.