Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,874

3 members and 2,871 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Grrr @ Petco

Thanks
    Ok, so I go to petco all the time for almost every supply I need for my bp Ronin, but I just have to vent for a small second

I wish I could have bought all their bp's (I bought Ronin from there, not too soon either) because of the condition they're kept in. You've got about 5-6bp's all in one 18x12x6 roughly sized tank. One big hide (in which they all huddle) sits in the middle of it. The entire tank is kept at about 82 degrees, uniformly. Furthermore, the humidity was 27% when i went in there to buy substrate today! 27%! My guy hasn't shed for me yet, but I sure hope he does alright when he gets around to it (I keep my humidity around 65-70%). Anyway, cramming that many bp's into that small of a tank with no temp gradient and absolutely horid humidity is just awful. I'm so glad my guy has a good home now. He's such a perfect little bp, about 8months old, always eating, and always the mildest of tempers.

Thanks
    better than last time i was there. had BPs temp at 70 and boas at 60
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    Pet-co, Petsmart, Big Chain Daddy, what ever they want to call it, stinks. They hire anybody that can pass a drug test(not that that's a bad thing).But, anyone can get a J.O.B.(Just Over Broke) at those places. I knew a girl who was really into herps. that worked at one of these big chain stores quit because they don't give a hoot nanny. She said that the raises were handed out if you could pass thier little tests. Most of which consisted of customer service. Costomer service is fine, but if dude/chick don't know what they're talkin' about; I don't even want to buy.

Stick with your home town herp shop. Those people rely on you to pay thier bills. If you don't have a local herp shop, see how many people you know who are interested, and pull your funds to make a large purchase.

"If we all have the same idea, some thing will get done." -Mick Feely

Thanks
    I hate PETCO as well. They are overpriced, and no help with questions. The one by me seems to have fair set ups for their snakes. I support my local herp store VI Pets. Today as a matter of fact I was there window shopping and got to see a Retic shed his skin while I was watching. Cool !!
    0.1 BP Reba
    1.0 Albino Corn Snake Rusty
    1.0.0 Rescued Garter Shane (released 4/7/05)

Thanks
    I really dont like petco either,even though the petco near me is alright, Most the animals seemed to be cared for pretty good.

I dont like how they have those big display cages with those plastic cage dividers which could help spread diseseas from reptile to reptile.

They have those plastic temp gauges and they read 80.......but hen again those things are known to be way off sometimes.
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    I went to one of the local petcos this weekend. One of the water dragons was dead in the cage and had been for at least the day, and the other two looked like crap. I told one of the associates, who was on the phone with a friend and she nodded but did nothing. I was there for at least 15 min more, still nothing. I left. I have seen all kinds of dead and sick animals at the area petcos, and they generally don't seem to care too much. Its sick

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those places are just like puppy mills. They do so much volume that to lose a few out of every shipment is nothing to them. Never buy from a place that doesn't take care of thier animals thinking that you are saving the animal. Because guess what that means that they will have to get another ont to take its place. the best way to deal with it is to say something so that other customers can hear and will force the store to deal with it right then. If you can buy from a reputiable breeder. This is how these guys make their living. And 99% of them take care of their animals.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Don't even waste your trime/money at those places. I like to support my local pet stores, and they seem to be a dying breed sadly.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.