Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

1 members and 2,972 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

I think my beardie is sick. Help?

I posted on a beardie forum a few days ago but nobody has answered and I need some help.

I've had my baby beardie a month. When she was with the breeder, he says she ate like a pig but I can't get her to eat!

I ordered some small crickets for her and in the month I've had her, she'll only eat 6-8 of them and only once a day. She will not eat more than once a day because that's all the breeder fed her.

I posted on another forum and everyone said to try meal worms so I bought some last night. She gobbled them up happily. I'd never seen her eat like that!

And then today I found piles of puke in her cage with worms in it. She ate 10-12 small worms. I don't know if that was too much for her to handle...

I don't know what to do to get this baby to eat enough. Her temps are good. Basking spot is 104-105 and she has uvb right over the spot, with no screen to block the rays. I had her in a 67 gallon front opening tank but I moved her into a 20 gallon, thinking maybe the big cage was stressing her but that hasn't helped. She hasn't grown at all in the month I've had her.

Before anyone mentions roaches, I can't feed them. They're illegal all across Canada and I wouldn't be comfortable with them in the house anyway.

Any suggestions? The poor thing must be starving. The day before yesterday, she refused to eat altogether.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I think my beardie is sick. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by hazzaram View Post
    I posted on a beardie forum a few days ago but nobody has answered and I need some help.
    Here's some help:

I've had my baby beardie a month. When she was with the breeder, he says she ate like a pig but I can't get her to eat!

I ordered some small crickets for her and in the month I've had her, she'll only eat 6-8 of them and only once a day. She will not eat more than once a day because that's all the breeder fed her.
    This is kind of relative. 6-8 crickets a day could be plenty depending on the size of the dragon especially if she's very small and the crickets are larger sized. One pet store's small cricket is another's medium.

I posted on another forum and everyone said to try meal worms so I bought some last night. She gobbled them up happily. I'd never seen her eat like that!

And then today I found piles of puke in her cage with worms in it. She ate 10-12 small worms. I don't know if that was too much for her to handle...
    Mealworms and Superworms should be fed in small amounts. Their chitin is difficult to digest and regurgitation isn't uncommon if overfed.

I don't know what to do to get this baby to eat enough. Her temps are good. Basking spot is 104-105 and she has uvb right over the spot, with no screen to block the rays. I had her in a 67 gallon front opening tank but I moved her into a 20 gallon, thinking maybe the big cage was stressing her but that hasn't helped. She hasn't grown at all in the month I've had her.
    She's eating every day though right? Do you need to increase the size of the crickets offered? Have you measured her snout to tail tip to make sure she's not growing?

Before anyone mentions roaches, I can't feed them. They're illegal all across Canada and I wouldn't be comfortable with them in the house anyway.
    Completely ridiculous that they are illegal...tropical species and regardless, don't infest like the pest German cockroach. Then again, seems like anything could thrive on a diet of poutine so maybe it makes sense

Any suggestions? The poor thing must be starving. The day before yesterday, she refused to eat altogether.
    My suggestion if she's eating 6-8 crickets every day would be to increase the size of the crickets. It sounds like she's willing to eat, and eats more than one cricket, so get more food into her as she's willing. It also sounds like she enjoys worms. Mealworms are fine to keep giving as a supplement but throttle it back to 3-5 worms and see how she handles that. Offer them later in the day after the crickets. Try to get some waxworms. These pure little balls of fat are great to put weight on to dragons so shouldn't become part of her regular diet once she's back on par. Waxworms are much easier to digest than mealworms too.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Also as mentioned above with the worms, get her eating greens, fruits and veggies. Google bearded dragon diet and you will get tons of things to feed.
    Snakes
    0.1 Butter
    0.1 Het Clown/Ghost
    1.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown
    1.1 Pied
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Fire/Spider
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 Pastave
    1.0 Albino Snow Corn
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel

Thanks

The crickets are 3/8 in size. That's what the breeder was feeding her and she won't eat bigger. I ended up with some bigger crickets in there and if I try and feed them to her, she'll ignore them and go for the smaller ones. As for her size, I haven't measured, but she's really small. I'll include a picture.

She's not eating every day. For example, she wouldn't eat anything at all today. She refused worms, refused crickets and refused greens/fruit. She ate yesterday but the day before she refused to eat, too. I'll cut her back to just a few worms and see if she'll also take some crickets, but right now she'll only eat once a day.

This is Momo:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blk02ssmonte View Post
    Also as mentioned above with the worms, get her eating greens, fruits and veggies. Google bearded dragon diet and you will get tons of things to feed.
    I try. I give her a dish of greens every day. I've tried so many different things and she won't touch them. I've tried romaine lettuce, escarole, endive, swiss chard, dandelion greens, collard greens, apple, plums, grapes, squash... I've even tried squash baby food (with only squash and water as ingredients) and she wanted no part of it. The only thing I've been able to get her to eat is one or two tiny, tiny pieces of romaine. I'm still trying new things but she really seems to hate eating!

Thanks
    it seems like my beardie didn't really take greens until he was a bit older, I offered them all the time, but he was more interested in insects. I agree with trying wax worms. You could also look for phoenix worms and maybe some small butter worms as well.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)