Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,975

2 members and 2,973 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python Not Eating... Help

I'm sure this gets gets thrown on here every few days by a new ball python owner, but I'm starting to get worried... I got my girl a few weeks ago and haven't been able to get her to feed since. I was told she was about week old when I purchased her, so I'm worried about her lack of interest in food. My only experience prior to her was a corn snake (that sadly passed away just before I got her) and feeding him was never a problem.

I have her in a 40ga tank with several hides available on both cool and warm sides as well as water bowls on both sides. Fake plants on the back wall and some other decor. Substrate is ReptiBark, and under that I have a Zilla tank liner pad. On the warm side, there is an under the tank heater as well. Temperature on the warm side ranges from about 89-94F and on the cool side ranges from about 75-80F when measured with an IR thermometer. Temperatures inside the hides run towards the higher ends of these ranges. I check this twice a day. Thermometers stuck on the sides of the tank agree with these measurements. Humidity is kept at 45-55% and I spray the tank daily. I live in an apartment with two roommates and the tank is in my bedroom, which doesn't get much traffic. We also have two gerbils and a hamster that are situated in the living room.

Thus far, I have only tried feeding with f/t, and I've tried several different methods both in her tank and in separate container for feeding.
    Using tongs, I've tried dangling pray in front of her, moving it in different directions. Having it "approach" slowly or quickly. I've tried feeding her while she was inside a hide and outside them. When that fails, I leave prey in with her overnight, only to wake up and find that it hasn't been touched.
    I've tried feeding both during the day and at night, still no interest. I've tried braining prey as well.

Feeding day is on Wednesday, so yesterday morning I put her in a separate container (previously I had just put her in right before offering food, as I had done with my corn snake) and let her stay there throughout the day, hoping that it would make her calmer when I came to feed her. I have gerbils, so I tried scenting the food with some of their bedding. When I offered her it and she seemed a little more interested, but didn't strike. I turned the lights off and walked out and came back about an hour later. It had been moved into the hide that I put in the container with her, but had not been eaten. I went to bed and checked when I woke up and she still had not eaten.

So, I'm at three weeks with her not eating. She is still pretty active, nosing around her tank, climbing up the plants in it. If she's out of hide when I reach in to change her water, she'll watch me. I've caught her drinking water a couple of times (cutest thing ever) as well, so I know she's at least getting that.

I have handled her few times, even though I haven't gotten her to feed (I know, not supposed to...). She is willing to explore and seems to react fine when I pet her or move her around. I don't see anything wrong when I look at her and I haven't seen her soaking (which can apparently be a warning sign for buggies).

So... I have no idea what to do with her now and I would greatly appreciate assistance!

Thanks.

Thanks
    I would suggest cluttering up the enclosure alot more or a much smaller enclosure, a 40gal is way to big for what sounds like a hatchling, your temps are a little high especially if inside the hides are always at the high side of the spectrum... you may also want to stop moving her to another cage for feeding, your just adding unnessecary stress with the move before feding and changing the enviroment. But most of all try a live prey, balls can be very picky about what they eat and they wont all eat f/t rite away if at all

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M.P.C For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-27-2015),evelyns (08-27-2015)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Not Eating... Help

If she was only a week old when you got her, the breeder did not ensure she was feeding well before they sold her. Even if she did eat once before she went home with you, she would still be figuring out her eating technique.

Even though your set up sounds good for an adult, it's waaay too big for a hatchling. Babies are typically kept in 6qt tubs, and even then some are insecure and do better with a tiny hide and a big water dish crammed in there to make it even more cozy.

You should get a sterilite/iris shoebox tub to keep her in and save the 40 gal for when she's grown up a bit. Put in a small hide that will hug her sides when she's in it (you can make one out of little plastic deli containers). Let her settle for a few days and then offer her a live hopper mouse. Don't try to guide it towards her or anything; just drop it in and let her do her thing. It may help to turn the lights off and leave the room for a bit.

Until she eats a few times, I know it's hard but leave her alone. Bare minimum cage maintenance, no handling. She can still be stressed without being scared to the point of attacking defensively. BPs don't "love" to move like a dog loves walks. BPs tend to stay in one spot to conserve energy for the most part and move when they need something to change (different temperature, predator moved into their burrow, new food source, water, finding a mate...). Right now the hatchlings set up is kind of like a four year old kid dropped off at Disney World to fend for themselves. Disney World is awesome, and four year olds can feed themselves (sort of), but put together the park is just too big and overwhelming for the kid to take care of their needs.

I also think you should get in touch with the breeder and let them know it's not eating for you. They should never have given such a young animal to someone without hatchling experience, no offense intended to you. One meal doesn't guarantee a snake is healthy and well-adjusted.

Keep us updated, and post some pictures of your set ups if you get a chance, so we can help fine-tune your husbandry if need be. I hope your baby eats for you soon!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chkadii For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Has she shed since you got her? If she was only a week old she should have shed within the 3 weeks you've had her. Either way, sounds like you're dealing with a youngster. Not many can turn down a live mouse hopper - give that a whirl if you have access. Larger enclosures just make things a bit more difficult. Regius don't really chase down prey but wait for it to wander within striking range. The larger the enclosure, the easier it is for the rodent to simply avoid the snake altogether. Moving to a feeding bin isn't usually suggested but might be a better option if you do stick with the 40 gallon, at least until you start seeing a stronger feeding response.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Your probability of a burn from an unregulated heat source is a good chance also. You are measuring surface temperatures, not where your snakes can actually burrow to.
    Chances are that hatchling has never eaten. Did you weigh it when you got it and if so how much weight has been lost?

Thanks
    M.P.C. - I've only moved her for feeding the one time, but I'll avoid it in the future.

Chkadii - I'll try feeding her a live hopper and see how that goes. I'll also leave her alone for now until she starts eating better.I've moved her into smaller tank and have cluttered it up. It's around 5ga (I think) which is bigger than 6qt, but it's the best I can do right now. I'll get something smaller if needed. I'll keep her in it until she starts eating better, at the very least.

John1982 - She hasn't shed since I got her, so I'm going to have to assume that her first shed was after I got her.

PitOnTheProwl - I didn't weigh her when I got her, but I'll keep track of her weight from now on. Right now she's at 54g.

Thanks
    This is my set-up for the 40ga tank:

I've moved into this tank for now:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evelyns View Post
    This is my set-up for the 40ga tank:

I've moved into this tank for now:

This tank is a lot better!
    Covering three sides of your current tank with black paper is also worth a try (if you don't want to switch to a 6qt tub) so she feels more "covered" and secure. This 5 gallon tank would actually be most suitable for her for the next few months. The 40 gallon tank can wait until she is almost completely full-grown.

As mentioned, avoid handling at all until she takes at least one meal for you... better two meals...

It's much easier to get them started on live hoppers, especially at this point if she is only a month old and may never even had a meal/had only one meal.

You will need a thermostat for the under-tank heater to regulate the temperature. It's a very required piece of equipment. If you don't want to spent big bucks, there is a good $30 one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR...mostat+reptile

A digital hygrometer to measure humidity is the most accurate. You can find an Acurite hygrometer on amazon or walmart for under $10.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-27-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks

I'll keep her in the smaller tank for now and cover up the sides. I'll check out the thermostat (thanks bunches for providing a link!) as well as the hydrometer.

Thanks
    Just wanted to let everyone know that she ate the live hopper! I kept and eye on her until the mouse was dead to make sure she didn't get hurt. It was interesting to watch her track the mouse as it wandered around. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. It was all greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast