Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,879

3 members and 2,876 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    So how often do you guys disinfect your cages? Also, what do you use? I use nolvasan (virosan) due to it's safety and ease of use, just spray and wipe. I tend to disinfect after the snake has left a present.. the same time that I change the substrate.

It seems that if you use newspaper (or similar) you should change the entire substrate whenever the snake leaves a mess, but if you use a mulch or something loose, you should spot clean, and once a month change the entire thing out. Am I right?

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks

How often do you disinfect?

I use soap, and water. And thenafter I rinse that out i use reptile releif and rinse that good.

I clean about once every 1-2 months.
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

Thanks
    I disinfect enclosures and decor once a month. I disinfect water dishes weekly. I use chlorhexidine (generic Nolvasan) for my monthly and I use anti-bacterial dish soap for my weekly. All wood gets dipped in chlorhexidine, rinsed and then baked in the oven at 300 degrees for 15 minutes.

I use Aspen for substrate and change it out every two weeks. On top of spot cleaning when required.
    In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test.
    You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at. -Shiqin

Thanks
    Once a month, every tank gets completely torn down. I replace the cypress mulch, burning the old stuff (we have a firepit and it makes nice kindling.
    I use the standard 5% bleach solution and hose the tank out with hot water in the bathtub, then dry everything well and replace.
    I sterilize their water bowls at the same time.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Babies get paper towels changed twice a week with a once a week spray and wipe (Nolvasan) of their enclosure. Hides and bowl exteriors are wiped if needed at this time. Once every 4-6 weeks I soak boxes, hides, and bowls in a Nolvasan-S solution for about 15-20 minutes to disinfect. I use 1/4 lb deli cups inside of water bowls and change those out once a week or as needed.

Adults are basically the same, but they are on sani-chips and those get completely replaced every 4-6 weeks when boxes are soaked.

And of course, spot cleaning is a daily event.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty