Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,835

1 members and 2,834 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help me talk him out of it

Thanks for the ammunition guys. I don't want to scare him off the idea of ever owning snakes I just think he needs to be more realistic about it. I spoke with him again and used the link above and a few other photos to demonstrate my concern. Talked about his dog too... she is very old and he made the comment of not wanting another pet until she has passed on and that he still wants an anaconda just later down the road when he can afford one. I went ahead and did the numbers on how much it would cost to keep one when it has gotten to a good size. And what kind of cleanup he gets to look forward to. He was under the assumption that this was a "low maintenance" pet... I may have won this battle. Hopefully he can break this barrier he has with the little snakes and work his way up, actually learn what's involved with keeping snakes. Like I just don't get to dangle a rat every week or two and call it good. There's a bit more too it lol.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Help me talk him out of it

Id avoid what was said before about notifying your HOA or Landlord. If you push to get them to ban a large "dangerous" snake then what will happen if he/they decided that they don't want your little Python around either? My neighbors are very nice friendly people but I will not allow anyone to know of my collection if I can help it. The majority of people tend to get squirrelly when they find out the person next door owns "dangerous baby eaters"
    Last edited by aLittleLessButter; 08-23-2015 at 12:34 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aLittleLessButter For This Useful Post:

RhodaDiane (10-11-2015),Tash (08-23-2015)

Thanks

I'd never get a pet that I wasn't comfortable handling on my own. So I totally agree with the who RTB or smaller thing. But an anaconda I'd a huge--and I mean HUGE--step! No one with a decent amount of reptile experience would recommend a female green anaconda as a first herp

I'd say let him get an anaconda hognose and work his way up from there lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FluppleWott For This Useful Post:

Tash (08-23-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aLittleLessButter View Post
    Id avoid what was said before about notifying your HOA or Landlord. If you push to get them to ban a large "dangerous" snake then what will happen if he/they decided that they don't want your little Python around either? My neighbors are very nice friendly people but I will not allow anyone to know of my collection if I can help it. The majority of people tend to get squirrelly when they find out the person next door owns "dangerous baby eaters"
    I've learned from past experience not to mention snakes if it's not necessary to neighbors and such. My current landlord doesn't care but I agree on not bringing up the issue in fear that it would backfire. When I was younger I had a garter snake. Such a tiny baby snake. One of the neighbors heard I had a snake and blamed my childhood pet for the disappearance of her cat. Proceeded to warn the neighbors to watch their small pets and children because I often let it roam loose. Rumors got so bad that authorities were called and our home was inspected in fear of our (the children's) safety. We were a bit confused until they asked to see the large snake. I pulled out my garter seeing as it was the only one that lived in the house... fit in the palm of my hand. They almost immediately left our home and I remember them apologizing and thanking us for our time. I made it a habit of showing people the pocket sized monster that lived in the viv in the corner of my bedroom. At that point though the damage was done. My parents weren't big on snakes to begin with so harassment from the neighbors only made it worse.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tash For This Useful Post:

RhodaDiane (10-11-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tash View Post
    ...but you better believe he ran when her enclosure was opened up
    well, there's your answer. he is incapable of caring for an anaconda.

Thanks

The other day my hedgehogs heater malfunctioned and the thermostat shut it off. It was so cold without it I put her in the snake room/office for the night as a temporary solution. When I moved her back out the next day he asked why and I said that I just didn't feel comfortable with her in there. I'm not sure if hedgehog smells like food or not like a rat would to be honest, and figured it would be best if they were not in the same room. Personal decision.

He made a comment about how that was stupid because it's been proven that keeping predator and prey on the same room hightens both animals activity and, "makes them more alive." I don't know the science behind that or if it's true or false but all I could think of was, yeah because one smells something delicious and wants to eat it and the other smells that something that wants to eat it and is terrified.

We had a nice long chat about how idiotic that was because all I could think about was him keeping a nice juicy rabbit in the same room as his anaconda because it, "made it more active and alive." I don't think any incidents following that would truly be called an accident. With enough photos of large snake bites cause by a food response, I think I got through to him... I think.
    Last edited by Tash; 08-28-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks

Some people astonish me lol. I was absolutely certain for about a month and a half that I was going to take the plunge and get a retic when I had the money. Needless to say after waiting that month and a half for the money to come around I had thought about it enough and realized I was not, and probably still not, ready for a snake that large. Maybe one day though 😊

Thanks
    I would just really impress on him that purchasing a snake that large, when he has little or no experience keeping large snakes is a stupid idea. Tell him he shouldn't get something that at some point might need multiple people to handle safely. He should get something smaller first, then move up.

Thanks

I tell him this but he insists that he'll grow into it. I am just hoping this is another one of his pipe dreams that he says he'll do but never does. Because clearly I have no idea what I am talking about when I talk to him about snakes. I'm moving so whatever he decides to do I will no longer feel responsible. I said my opinions and worry more then once. It's in his hands to be responsible now.

Thanks
    Maybe he needs to get an idea of the serious $$$ that would take to even get rolling... IDK his or your situation, but if something costs a couple stacks thats gonna make me put the brakes on it, even if the talk is still kind of 'wishful thinking'

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kittencaboodles For This Useful Post:

RhodaDiane (10-11-2015)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast