Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,650

1 members and 2,649 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks
    What size holes should I drill in the rubbermaid?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    I think I was using 1/4 inch, but just a suggestion from someone with a little experience ... try using a soldering iron instead of a drill. I've cracked a butt load of rubbermaids in my life by drilling and it leaves little shavings everywhere. A soldering iron can be picked up at radio shack for like $6 and it melts perfectly smooth little holes much faster than drilling.

And besides, melting the holes leaves that smell in the air that i used to love as a kid ... you know, from melting those little green army men when you play war! ... LOL ..... :mrgreen:

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Yep, the soldering iron works great. Not just for air holes either. I make all my cuts using an iron. Just draw my pattern directly onto the tub and start melting. Granted it can be a little more time consuming than a drill, but I have not trashed a single tub since I started using one.
    In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test.
    You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at. -Shiqin

Thanks
    I just used a soldering iron on my tub and the holes are perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Do you think 12 X 1/4-3/8 holes on the two long sides is enough, or should I put holes in the other two sides?

Thanks

made a decision

Quote Originally Posted by guitrage
    I just used a soldering iron on my tub and the holes are perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Do you think 12 X 1/4-3/8 holes on the two long sides is enough, or should I put holes in the other two sides?

You should be good. Personally, i put at least a couple on each end to promote airflow but i do not have a total of 12 on any one side either. The most important thing is to make sure whatever you are housing in the rubbermaid cannot squeeze itself through the holes you provided. I just recently had a bp escape from a rubbermaid because i driled the holes too big. I thought they were small enough, but as soon as i saw Sphinx's head through the hole, he was out :shock:.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    And besides, melting the holes leaves that smell in the air that i used to love as a kid ... you know, from melting those little green army men when you play war! ... LOL ..... Mr. Green
    For some reason i always preferred hacking them up with the hatchet
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by led4urhead
    For some reason i always preferred hacking them up with the hatchet
    Oh me too! ... but after the "incident" with my little brothers fingers i was never allowed to play with the hatchet again.
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Sick puppies