Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

0 members and 3,187 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Everyone I need help!!!!!

I have a three and a half foot ball python named Rowdy that I received about 8 months ago from my brother. Rowdy was a great snake and very docile up until a week ago when he bit me and now he seems pissed off all the time. I feed him 4 mice a week and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have a 7 year old daughter who loves to play with him but now I'm afraid he will bite her too. Any suggestions?????

Thanks
    There are many variables that can cause a bite. Any changes in husbandry, weather, seasons and foreign scents can all have an effect.

At risk of anthropomorphising them too much, snakes can get moody here and there. It's normal, and happens to all of us. My most docile boa one time out of nowhere struck at me, and hasn't done it again since.

Make sure that your hands are free of rodent scents before handling. One thing to consider is possibly switching to rats, and upping the food size. He might be needing a diet increase. How big is he? Can you post a pic?

Thanks

Re: Everyone I need help!!!!!

I'm not sure how to post pics but I will as soon as I figure it out by

Thanks

Thanks

I agree with all points.

1. Always, always wash hands before handling your snakes. Even something as obscure as your own lunch scent can smell "off" and trigger bites.

2. Make sure he is feeding on appropriate sized prey and at an appropriate frequency.

3. Check the temps and other aspects of the habitat. I have heard that "too hot" temps can cause moodiness or extra aggression.

4. Sometimes snakes bite. It's usually not a big deal, although I'd avoid letting the 7 year old get bitten simply to keep her interested in snakes and not afraid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
    I agree with all points.

1. Always, always wash hands before handling your snakes. Even something as obscure as your own lunch scent can smell "off" and trigger bites.

2. Make sure he is feeding on appropriate sized prey and at an appropriate frequency.

3. Check the temps and other aspects of the habitat. I have heard that "too hot" temps can cause moodiness or extra aggression.

4. Sometimes snakes bite. It's usually not a big deal, although I'd avoid letting the 7 year old get bitten simply to keep her interested in snakes and not afraid.
    Regarding point 4 here..This is part of reptile ownership. It is incredibly important to monitor all interactions between children and reptiles by a responsible adult. Yet, bites can still happen even during supervision. However, I think that getting bitten as a kid is part of developing respect and understanding for these animals. Sometimes kids don't fully appreciate how exotic reptiles are until they suffer a mild bite. I distinctly remember being bitten by my first snake as a kid, and the profound impact it had on me. Not only did I develop a much deeper respect for the animal after being bitten, but also made me even more interested in owning reptiles. My point is, if a child is bitten, I would use it as a golden learning opportunity to teach reverence for reptiles. Shielding them from ever being bitten doesn't allow them these real world growth opportunities.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

SCWood (08-13-2015)