Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

0 members and 2,826 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Feeding tips

Thanks

Feeding tips

I am new to this new hobby and was looking to see if someone could help me out.
    I have a ball python that weighs 155 grams and I've been feeding her f/t mice. Problem is I want to start switching her to f/t rats. She just won't touch em. But has no issues with her mice. Are there any tips to making the switch?
    Thanks
    Jeremy

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Re: Feeding tips

Patience and tough love is what I suggest. If you only offer rats eventually she will eat. The hunger almost always wins in the long run . You can also try scenting the rat by thawing it with a mouse or try offering the rat after she's eaten a mouse and still in feed mode. Sometimes they'll just snatch whatever you give them. Best wishes.

Thanks
    There are many strategies posted on here to switch from mice to rats. Some put soiled mouse bedding on the rat and let it soak up the scents before feeding. I personally have found that feeding a couple live rats will help them switch. Ultimately your snake will have to choose between going hungry and switching to rats. It is perfectly fine if they don't eat for a couple weeks during this transition.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chargethebeach34 View Post
    I am new to this new hobby and was looking to see if someone could help me out.
    I have a ball python that weighs 155 grams and I've been feeding her f/t mice. Problem is I want to start switching her to f/t rats. She just won't touch em. But has no issues with her mice. Are there any tips to making the switch?
    Thanks
    Jeremy
    At 155g, I would keep feeding her what she'll eat. I think it's more important she eat and grow at this point than she eat what you want her to eat.

I have one now that was a mouser. Wouldn't touch rats for anything. So I fed her mice. She was on mice for over a year. She's a slow growing, picky eater who just won't eat for two or three weeks at atime so she doesn't gain weight quickly.

A couple of weeks ago, I put a FT rat in her tub and left her alone. Next day it was gone.

It's nice if they switch early for you, but it's not guaranteed. Feed her what she'll eat for now and try switching her later when she's got some size on her.
    Last edited by 200xth; 08-13-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

Megg (08-13-2015)

Thanks

Thank you all for the info I appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk