Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,142

1 members and 3,141 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Ive seen alot of breeders on the internet who house their snakes in racks.....nothing wrong with that, its just inside the rack, ususally all there is is a little water bowl (like that a rodent would use) .No hides, no nothing! and the space in there is usually very limited.

I know if i housed one of my snakes like that and showed you guys a picture, i know you would say for me to first.....get a cage big enough, get a bigger waterbowl for some humidity, then get some hides.

I know having alot of snakes can cost alot of money and therfore you cant have very extravagant housing for each and everyone of them.But still, i think at least two hides is a nessacity.

So i guess my question is...why do some breeder house thier snakes like that ?
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure almost every breeder houses their snakes like that
    but just because its in a rack doesn't mean its being treated inhumanely.
    - Jason

1.1 Ball Pythons + ?? in a rack
    1.1 Corn Snake (m: Snow, f: LL Okeetee)
    0.1 Columbian Red Tailed Boa
    0.1 Rose Hair Tarauntula
    1 Emperor Scorpian
    1 Madagascar Hissing Cockaroach
    8.48 mice + lots'o'babies
    14.42 rats + lots'o'babies
    My basements quickly becoming a zoo full of secret projects :o

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

some answers

Ahhh .... good question.

Well, I know I'm probably going to get some flak for this one, but here it goes!

Ball pythons do better in smaller cages! ... Yup, believe it or not, it's true. That certainly doesn't mean you can keep a 4ft ball in a 10 gallon tank, but a 3ftx1.5ft cage (the size of the boxes in my adult racks) is fine for an adult ball python. I have a whole bunch that eat (every week), deficate, and breed in these boxes and if getting your groove on isn't a sign of happiness, I don't know what is.

Water bowls? Well, ball pythons doesn't soak unless something is wrong with their environment. A ball python that feels secure, is at the proper temps, and is kept in the proper ambient humidity will never go in a water bowl (unless you feed it too big of a meal). Many breeders control the overall humidity in the room so a large water bowl isn't needed. I use 4" PVC couplers with 16oz deli cups inside and it works fine for my snakes.

Hide boxes ... well a lot of times, breeders will remove the hide box for the picture because the snake was actually in it. But a lot of adult ball pythons kept in racks don't even need a hide box. The low ceiling and low light in the back of the rack makes the snake feel secure enough without a hide, especially if they are a big adult that's been in captivity a lot of years. I offer hide boxes to all of my snakes, some use them, and some don't. I leave it up to them.

I don't think it's a money thing. Most of the freedom breeder racks used cost more than it would to set them all up in big plastic cages. It's more of a security thing. Ball pythons just love appropriately sized boxes with low ceilings!

I used to keep balls in 4ftx2ft neodesha cages and I always had problems. Snakes fasting, some wouldn't breed, some were so stressed that they strike at you all the time, it was nuts. They were all set up with the proper temps, hide boxes, humidity, etc ... For the longest time I thought that's just how balls were. Ever since moving them into rack systems, they are thriving! Everyone eats every single week, they breed like rabbits, and are as calm as can be (except for the occasional "leave me alone" hiss).

Now before I get beat up, I'm not saying the big cages, or aquariums, or whatever else anyone uses is wrong or that you're a bad snake owner if you don't use racks. Please understand that if you have a healthy animal that eats, you are doing EVERYTHING RIGHT! .... To do well, a ball python needs to feel secure, and if your snake is doing well, you are doing an awesome job of helping it feel secure. What I'm saying is that rack systems help snakes feel naturally secure without having to do a whole lot else. And when you have a collection of 200, 500, or 1000+ snakes and are running a business, that is a HUGE help.

Ok, let the posting begin! ... LOL

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    My $.02 essentially echos most of what Adam just said...

Something to consider is that on many rack systems, the boxes are opaque or translucent, and the depth of the rack allows the box to act as a hide in & of itself.

We have hides that Kevin specifically designed for use in Freedom Breeder racks, but only use them on REALLY shy snakes. Even our LTC WC animals feel comfortable enough to breed & reproduce w/o hides when we set them up in the right kind of box. Adding some crumpled newspaper helps for shy snakes in a rack system as well.

We also give our BP's as big of a water dish as we can possibly fit into their respective FB boxes, which helps to counter all the extra ventilation from the rack a bit.

K

Thanks

not for breeding

Kevins hide boxes rock! They're all I use ... just picked up 30 more at the Philly show.

And I still remember when Kevin taught me the crumpled up newspaper trick many moons ago! ... LOL

Thanks K!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks
    Caging discussions kinda belong in caging forum . Moved there.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys, i was just so confused with everyone saying that hides are the MUSTHAVE for any snake and then looking at these breeders on the internet and then not seeing any.

(oops sorry led)
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    hey adam or kara, how can i get some of these hides? i've been looking for a good hide for my 15 qt rack (small bp babies).

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks
    Hey Vaughn,

I would shoot Kara or Kev an email.

If they don't hook you up give me a call, but I'm pretty sure they'll take care of ya!

-adam

Thanks
    thanks adam, what do you think of the 41 qt tubs for adults? compared to 3x24x12 cage for females/breeders? the forums have been hot lately! alot of good discussions.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast