Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,548

1 members and 2,547 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Yes they are illegal in the five boroughs. Not promoting breaking the law either but i personally know people with big collections that live in the city with no issues. Its definitely not enforced I just wouldnt go running around my block with a huge snake on my shoulders
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Ball pythons banned in New York City.

I live in N.Y.C. (unfortunately) and was under the notion that the law specified snakes having a length of 5 feet or more as being banned? That would include the "giant" snakes and all venomous species." Giant" being Burmese, reticulated , and anacondas. Yes , its really unfortunate bc there are so many irresponsible herp owners here in N.Y.C. as evidenced by the recent and historical cases of releasing unwanted herps in the sewers and rivers and subways in this already filthy, smelly city. The best we can do is fund USARK and make a proposal to them to assist us responsible keepers to try and change the laws here. Also, join the Long Island Herpetological Society of New York. Obtain certificates of authority and licenses from the Dept. of Agriculture and become vendors at all these Repticons and Expos to have proof of our professionalism. Mostly all Herpetological societies are affiliated with teaching universities and schools of veterinary medicine which will help our call for new legislation. Stay in peace and not pieces. The Long Island Herp. Society is affiliated with the Farmingdale University of New York.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 08-08-2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: update
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Reinz (08-08-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
    Yes they are illegal in the five boroughs. Not promoting breaking the law either but i personally know people with big collections that live in the city with no issues. Its definitely not enforced I just wouldnt go running around my block with a huge snake on my shoulders
    Pretty sure people have walked around with their big snakes and they never got in trouble. I'm not condoning it, but people get away with it quite often by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    I live in N.Y.C. (unfortunately) and was under the notion that the law specified snakes having a length of 5 feet or more as being banned? That would include the "giant" snakes and all venomous species." Giant" being Burmese, reticulated , and anacondas. Yes , its really unfortunate bc there are so many irresponsible herp owners here in N.Y.C. as evidenced by the recent and historical cases of releasing unwanted herps in the sewers and rivers and subways in this already filthy, smelly city. The best we can do is fund USARK and make a proposal to them to assist us responsible keepers to try and change the laws here. Also, join the Long Island Herpetological Society of New York. Obtain certificates of authority and licenses from the Dept. of Agriculture and become vendors at all these Repticons and Expos to have proof of our professionalism. Mostly all Herpetological societies are affiliated with teaching universities and schools of veterinary medicine which will help our call for new legislation. Stay in peace and not pieces. The Long Island Herp. Society is affiliated with the Farmingdale University of New York.
    I think all boids are banned regardless, actually.

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsoldier001 View Post
    That's crazy. I mean ferrets? Hedgehogs? Are these people against all animal? Seriously birds, cats and dogs only?! No variety. I can't believe it. I just never thought I'd hear that a place as populated as NY wouldn't want to have an opinion on what kind of animals they would be able to have. This is depressing to me.
    That's typically what happens when animal rights activists gain full control of a governmental body. NYC is very, very left-winged.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet Herp; 08-24-2015 at 10:34 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-08-2016)

Thanks

We recently just moved from San Diego to New York along with our one BP. I didn't even think BPs are banned in the city! Needless to say, we're keeping our BP a secret from our landlord. Oh well, guess we'll be having an "illegal resident" in our home for the next 3 years lol.

Please update us on what USARK has to say about this ban! I'll definitely support it and would gladly be a part of the cause ! In the mean time, I guess we'll have to travel all the way to New Jersey for the annual vet visit...sheesh.
    1.0 Not-so-Normal BP - Sven Forshufvud

Thanks

Post So it's been a good 7 months...

So it's been a good 7 months since I posted. I've sent an email every month asking usark for there opinion/help.
    It seems that they are not interested in trying there luck. They haven't even replied to a single email or anything. I'm guessing New York is just too big of a fish to fry. I don't blame them. luckily I've made some friends out of the city that I've been getting snakes from I'm now the proud owner of 3 ball pythons(1 normal female, 1 normal male, and 1 pastel male) and a Kenyan sand boa. And I'm pretty stoked about them all!

thanks to everyone who replied with there opinion on what I should do. Thankfully it seems like everyone agrees that it is extremely ignorant to pass a law banning harmless animals!

~Mike H~
    Last edited by M-Hogan; 02-19-2016 at 06:31 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M-Hogan For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-08-2016),PitOnTheProwl (02-19-2016),se7en (02-20-2016)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Sounds familiar. Here in Vienna (Austria, that one without the kangaroos ) it's not allowed to own "giant snakes" (= bigger than 3m ... = ~ 10 feet?) or venomous snakes for private persons BUT (at least last time I checked a few years ago) it is (or was) not illegal to SELL them (e.g. if you are a shop owner). But I have to admit that I didnt check that about the selling recently, because I would never want to own a pet that could easily kill me so actually I dont care.

And as far as I am informed the so called "animal rights activists" try (and seem to succeed) to ban reptile shows in Austria. Because those poor animals like Pac Man frogs or other reptiles are forced to sit on the same spot in small boxes for many hours which is like "torture" they say.

Btw racks (to keep BPs) are illegal as well here in Vienna. For one or two adult ball pythons you need a tank with a base of at least 0,9 mē (~ 9,7 "square foot"?) and about 2,3 ft high. And the tank MUST include a branch (BP are like monkeys they think) for climbing.

You have to inform the local authority about ANY reptile you purchased/own (via e-mail) and they could send an offical veterinarian to your home to see if everything (setup/tank...) is as the laws say it should be for the species you own. Usually they only do THAT if you keep a LOT of reptiles as it seems. A few years ago I owned a chameleon and 4 crested geckos and I never had a visit.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 02-19-2016 at 08:57 AM.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: So it's been a good 7 months...

Quote Originally Posted by M-Hogan View Post
    So it's been a good 7 months since I posted. I've sent an email every month asking usark for there opinion/help.
    It seems that they are not interested in trying there luck. They haven't even replied to a single email or anything. I'm guessing New York is just too big of a fish to fry.
    Ball Pythons (any member, or hybrid offspring of the family Boidae and any member of the family Pythonidae (boas and pythons) as well as monitors, iguanas, Racerunners, whiptails and tegus) have been banned in the city of New York for a long time, I think for over 10 years at this point. I applaud your efforts just think the timing is off. USARK has been working for the last few years to overturn the Lacey act listing for large constrictors at the federal level and probably doesn't have the time and resources to deal with the state level issues with any gusto right now.
    For the Horde!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    I can see why NYC banned many reptiles, I mean after that alligator got flushed into the sewer and got big enough to start eating cops, that giant Godzillia like iguana that leveled the city, whatever breed that Cloverfield thing was, not mention those six foot turtles that learned ninjutsu and started that vigilante group.

All in all NYC hasn't had a great track record with reptiles....

(Sorry....I couldn't help myself)

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-08-2016),Chkadii (02-19-2016),IsmQui718 (08-02-2016),Kira (01-18-2017),Lizardlicks (02-20-2016),MiniMed (08-08-2016),OriginReptiles (07-01-2016),se7en (02-20-2016),Slim (02-20-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ferrets are no longer banned in NYC, that was a ban put in by mayor Guliani, but as soon as DeBlassio took over as mayer he lifted that ban. The old mayer just hated ferrets, so for 8 years you couldn't have one. Thank goodness i live in suffolk county. The city is ruled by the personal wims of whoever is the current mayor, which is not fair. The current mayor hates the carrage horses, so he is trying to get rid of them. He also needs the land where the stable is located cause he promised it to contractors who helped him get elected. The only problem is everyone loves the horses and the quaintness of the carraiges in the city, so it doesn't look like he will get his way.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blue roses For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-08-2016),Chkadii (02-19-2016),Lizardlicks (02-20-2016),se7en (02-20-2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast