Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,880

2 members and 2,878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball pythons banned in New York City.

Hi I recently moved into the city for school and I was looking to get a ball python,
    but when I went into my local pet shop and ask about them I learn that they are illegal to own in the city,
    along with a bunch of other reptiles including monitors and boas.

I was wondering if there was any way for me to make a petition to appeal the ban or if somebody would be willing to help me go about doing this, that would be super helpful!

also I would like to just get a gauge on how many people on here would be willing to sign such a petition.
    So even if you don't know how I could go about making a petition it would be cool if you just left a comment saying weather or not you are behind the idea.

thank you,
    Mike Hogan.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to M-Hogan For This Useful Post:

se7en (02-20-2016)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    NYC is pretty screwed as far as exotic pets goes, especially since the lawmakers there are pretty tight with the animal rights movement. It would be pretty monumental if you could change the ban honestly. I think they also ban even ferrets and gerbils. Pretty much nothing that isn't banned.
    On a different note, I'm not condoning law breaking by saying this, but the ban is essentially never enforced anyway. I've heard of people asking the cops and they didn't even know about it, and there is most certainly many people in NYC who illegally keep banned pets and may or may not even be aware of it. I'd question even having a law on the books if they're not going to enforce it, especially if, logically speaking, there was no good reason to have the law anyway.
    You could shoot an email to USARK for assistance if you really are serious about taking on this ban. You'll need more than a petition though.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

M-Hogan (08-06-2015),se7en (02-20-2016)

Thanks

Smile Re: Ball pythons banned in New York City.

Hey, thanks for the reply I just sent an email to USARK asking if there was anything we can do about it, I will post an update when I get a reply hopefully we can get the ball rolling (no pun intended) on getting rid of this ban.
    Also yea I'm sure there are many people that own illegal animals especially since you can buy ball pythons ferrets and pretty much anything else in New Jersey which is about 20 minutes from Manhattan.

Thanks again,
    Mike Hogan.
    Last edited by M-Hogan; 08-06-2015 at 03:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Welcome to the forum M-Hogan.

Sounds like USARK is the best place to start.

There are a few folks here from NYC. Maybe they will give their views.

Constrictors are banned in my city too. But I can't find it in writing anywhere. I don't want to phone anyone and raise any awareness.

But the three pet shops in town, including Petco and Petsmart, are not allowed to sell constrictors.

I'm just playing ignorant and keeping quiet. No one knows that I have snakes.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

JMinILM (08-06-2015),se7en (02-20-2016)

Thanks
    Seriously why are ball pythons even illegal? It doesn't make sense. If they escape they will not survive winter and be an invasive species. And they are not dangerous. I don't live in the city but my brother does.

Thanks
    Even hedgehogs. And yes ferrets are also banned.

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ball pythons banned in New York City.

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    Seriously why are ball pythons even illegal? It doesn't make sense. If they escape they will not survive winter and be an invasive species. And they are not dangerous. I don't live in the city but my brother does.
    Danger is a relative concept. What you see in NYC is the inevitable result of the march towards permits, registrations, and outright bans of "dangerous" animals. Many people consider them dangerous and most people couldn't care less to be enlightened...easier to just ban all.

Registered User Karnage Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ball pythons banned in New York City.

Just doing a little research on it , and I found out that they are illegal in the 5 boroughs. Kinda glad I waited till I moved out of NY to get into snakes.

Karnage Royals
    1.0 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Bumble Bee
    1.0 Het Albino
    0.1 Het Pied
    1.0 Yellow Belly (Leather Head)
    0.1 Bumble Bee (Karia)
    1.0 Het Albino (Raphael)
    0.1 Het Pied (Diamond)
    0.1 Het Genetic Stripe (Bree)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Karnage Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-08-2016)

Thanks
    They are illegal but yes definitely in pet shops. So I don't think they enforce the law or at least not often.

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts
    That's crazy. I mean ferrets? Hedgehogs? Are these people against all animal? Seriously birds, cats and dogs only?! No variety. I can't believe it. I just never thought I'd hear that a place as populated as NY wouldn't want to have an opinion on what kind of animals they would be able to have. This is depressing to me.
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast