Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,261

1 members and 3,260 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Brongersmai female very delicate eater / is this common?

I have a pair of Brongersmai long enough for two feedings. The male hits the food hard, but she has proven to be very delicate. The first feeding, she grabbed fuzzy rat out of the tongs without lunging and did not constrict, just started eating. The second feeding she was scared of it a few attempts to stimulate a response, not showing interest until I set it on the floor in front of her. Then she went around and started to eat, no constriction.
    Anyone have a take on this? Is it a good or a bad sign? I was thinking good, because she might be really mellow as an adult.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    My big Blood is usually easy on food and just starts slowly eating. Every once and a while she will slam it though.

My younger ones are still pretty aggressive.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

carpet (08-02-2015)

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Brongersmai female very delicate eater / is this common?

I have the same experience with my two retics. Male nails anything and she just eats it.. Just one of those things

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to frostysBP For This Useful Post:

carpet (08-02-2015)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I don't know how much difference it makes personality wise, my sstp hits food hard and always been a great eager eater and the calmest of my short tails. My blood is hit or miss, rarely grabs off tongs and doesn't constrict and is hissy but ok to handle. My new baby borneos the female grabs her meals immediately, the male is a poor eater and currently only taking live, he's tagged me a bunch and super jumpy, female is always looking for a meal but ok when handled.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

carpet (08-02-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    I don't know how much difference it makes personality wise, my sstp hits food hard and always been a great eager eater and the calmest of my short tails. My blood is hit or miss, rarely grabs off tongs and doesn't constrict and is hissy but ok to handle. My new baby borneos the female grabs her meals immediately, the male is a poor eater and currently only taking live, he's tagged me a bunch and super jumpy, female is always looking for a meal but ok when handled.
    The only thing is I think my female might be scared of live. She hardly hisses when I pick her up and moving the thawed she will retract. That is a bit different from being picky.

Sounds like nothing to worry about based on the comments. I was worried this might be a sign of health issues.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Eh. It's not a problem. I have a couple that are very casual eaters. They have been off and on for 12+ years. I'm totally fine with that. My SSTs, on the other hand, have always been very aggressive feeders. It makes me wonder if brongersmai possibly evolved to do some scavenging in the wild... I often hear of similar feeding responses with these 2 species.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aahmn View Post
    It makes me wonder if brongersmai possibly evolved to do some scavenging in the wild...
    When it happened, it reminded me more of how monitors (true scavenging species) have fed in my past experiences. I could probably test by leaving the food a bit further and see if they do the same.