Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,145

1 members and 1,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guitrage
    I guess I could, but how much electricity do those things use?
    According to my electric utility, depending on usage, around $30-$50 a month. Outrageous.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    Quote Originally Posted by guitrage
    I guess I could, but how much electricity do those things use?
    According to my electric utility, depending on usage, around $30-$50 a month. Outrageous.
    That can't be right ... I am running 6 - 8 oil filled heaters, console humidifies, fridge, freezer, lights, a ton of racks etc and my electric bill is a lot lower than you would think ... even in the summer running AC in all the rooms.

I think that estimate might be a little hi .... A small oil filled heater on low just to bump up room temps a couple degrees shouldn't cost much at all.

I think it costs on average $1 to run 1 watt 24 hours a day 7 days a week for a year. I think ... can anyone chime in on that?? Vaughn maybe?

I certainly don't know for sure on this one, but $30 - $50 dollars a month doesn't sound right to me. I think your electric company is way over estimating.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    It sounded high to me, too, but that's exactly what it said in the info I got from them yesterday. I think they are probably referring to the average space heater a person would use, with coils/elements, rather than the more efficient oil-filled.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    hey all, my bill here in va runs around 145-165 bucks a month for the whole house. our house is about 1600 sq ft. everything is electric. i run a small 750 watt heater in my 10 x10 herp room. i maintain 75-82 deg. year round in the room. i keep the house 72-74 deg year round. i believe that keeping my room warmer makes each cage/rack run less and more efficient. i use a small humidifier in the room that keeps moisture around 50-65% in the winter and 65-80% in the summer. i don't mist or spray my ball pythons and i get one piece sheds. i do spray my geckos and green trees daily.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

Re: Insulating a glass tank

Quote Originally Posted by guitrage View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Is there any controversy regarding whether ReptiBark is potentially harmful or not? I think I remember someone saying that it's dusty and can cause respiratory problems. How about cypress mulch? Both 100% safe for balls?
    Thanks again
    Ive read and heard that ReptiCHIP is better than the bark.

Thanks
    Well this is almost a bakers dozen old

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Insulating a glass tank

I am having the same problem, but not so much heat loss as a very shy girl. I purchased a foam background from amazon, it cost 27 dollars and is pretty big. So i cut it to fit my 20 gallon long as a background, and still had enough left over to cover the sides. now she is warm and not so shy. I also went to home depot and had a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the top with the lamp space cut out so the fixture still fits. hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12