Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,790

1 members and 2,789 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Re: Female sunglow poss het anery

Well I got the medium hides and they are twice as big as they need to be, but that's ok, she'll grow into them. I ordered 3 so 2 went to Nymeria and the last one plus a piece of Mopani wood I bought went to Tirel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Female sunglow poss het anery

This may seem appear controversial and I've mentioned this previously but I've been told by a few very experienced people not to give Boas hides but provide safe places / areas by strategically placed branches . I've had great success following this advice . My hatchling Dwarf SunGlow boa is a lovely little thing now who started off rather nervous and my 7' Snow Boa is the softest , most placid snake I have . There is a belief that hides whilst being great for many species , Royals being a good example are not always the best idea for Retics , Burms and Boas ...

None of my Boas , the Retic or the Burm have hides per-see . ... they just have branches to hide in or behind if they so wish ...

They are all lovely and placid , thankfully
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-22-2017 at 03:39 AM.

Thanks

My boas spend a lot of time in their hides, I couldn't imagine not offering any...even River my retic makes good use of her hides.

I have yet to give any to Dominika as I need to find some large enough for her and I don't trust cardboard. But with her being older she may or may not like the hides if she wasn't given any in the past. If she does, I'm sure it will speed up the process of getting her to tolerate me.

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

Thanks

Female sunglow poss het anery

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    My boas spend a lot of time in their hides, I couldn't imagine not offering any...even River my retic makes good use of her hides.

I have yet to give any to Dominika as I need to find some large enough for her and I don't trust cardboard. But with her being older she may or may not like the hides if she wasn't given any in the past. If she does, I'm sure it will speed up the process of getting her to tolerate me.

Incidentally , how are the ones with hides ?
    Any sign of viv defensiveness ... would you put your hands near the entrance whilst they're in it to change the water or spot clean ?
    Just wondering ?

A Retic breeder said to me years ago ' you don't want a 13' Retic shooting out of hide at you !'
    Maybe both methods work !?
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-22-2017 at 03:57 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Incidentally , how are the ones with hides ?
    Any sign of viv defensiveness ... would you put your hands near the entrance whilst they're in it to change the water or spot clean ?
    Just wondering ?

A Retic breeder said to me years ago ' you don't want a 13' Retic shooting out of hide at you !'
    A few of them are always ready for food when I walk by but once I actually get in there and grab them they're fine. Cloud lately has been striking at me when I walk by but I'm not sure what's going on with him...I've increased his feeding frequency and even his prey size slightly and he just doesn't seem 100% lately. I didn't even really fast him this winter because of it. So most likely not hide-related. He's always been the most docile least willing to bite snake in the past, and has always been offered multiple hides.

Nymeria is much like Cloud has been, she doesn't show any interest when I enter the room. Only Howl and now Cloud comes out to greet me in hopes of food. Both snap out of it once I get the hook and reach in for them. Crona used to look for food at the slightest movement, but he's doing that less and less, and Tirel only reacts if she's already awake. If she's sleeping she's dead to the world.

Crona first arrived being snappy but not hissy. He started out with 4-5 hides and a big vine that takes up nearly 50% of the floor space. I added 1-2 extra hides and he quickly calmed down. He still has his moments, but he's really only bit me once in months and that was because he was in shed. Tirel doesn't get snappy at all but she's quick to hiss at you especially when in shed. But she's only bit me while I was giving her her shots.

River is the typical retic, always jumping at the opportunity for food and always greets me when I come in. If she doesn't come see me I know she's shedding. She's only shown defensive behaviors twice and that was over a year ago for the last time and both happened while I had her already outside her enclosure. She asks questions before attacking her food, and I have yet to have her come at me in anything more than interest while in her enclosure.

As far as putting my hands near their hides, unless they have their heads poking out yes I have no qualms putting them near their hides, but I'd be going out of my way to stick my hands in front of their hides to do a water change. Lol

Also, the only two boas I am currently using a hook with are Cloud and Howl, because of their feeding response. I use it with River just to be sure she's not questioning whether I have food or not. I have not had to use a hook with Cloud before the past few months... I can pick up most of them as I wish whenever and not fear a bite. At most Tirel or Crona might give me a short lived huff (outside of shed). I also do not make a spectacle of getting them out and just reach in and pick them up, taking the time to rub them with a hook or whatever generally just pisses them off.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    A few of them are always ready for food when I walk by but once I actually get in there and grab them they're fine. Cloud lately has been striking at me when I walk by but I'm not sure what's going on with him...I've increased his feeding frequency and even his prey size slightly and he just doesn't seem 100% lately. I didn't even really fast him this winter because of it. So most likely not hide-related. He's always been the most docile least willing to bite snake in the past, and has always been offered multiple hides.

Nymeria is much like Cloud has been, she doesn't show any interest when I enter the room. Only Howl and now Cloud comes out to greet me in hopes of food. Both snap out of it once I get the hook and reach in for them. Crona used to look for food at the slightest movement, but he's doing that less and less, and Tirel only reacts if she's already awake. If she's sleeping she's dead to the world.

Crona first arrived being snappy but not hissy. He started out with 4-5 hides and a big vine that takes up nearly 50% of the floor space. I added 1-2 extra hides and he quickly calmed down. He still has his moments, but he's really only bit me once in months and that was because he was in shed. Tirel doesn't get snappy at all but she's quick to hiss at you especially when in shed. But she's only bit me while I was giving her her shots.

River is the typical retic, always jumping at the opportunity for food and always greets me when I come in. If she doesn't come see me I know she's shedding. She's only shown defensive behaviors twice and that was over a year ago for the last time and both happened while I had her already outside her enclosure. She asks questions before attacking her food, and I have yet to have her come at me in anything more than interest while in her enclosure.

As far as putting my hands near their hides, unless they have their heads poking out yes I have no qualms putting them near their hides, but I'd be going out of my way to stick my hands in front of their hides to do a water change. Lol

Also, the only two boas I am currently using a hook with are Cloud and Howl, because of their feeding response. I use it with River just to be sure she's not questioning whether I have food or not. I have not had to use a hook with Cloud before the past few months... I can pick up most of them as I wish whenever and not fear a bite. At most Tirel or Crona might give me a short lived huff (outside of shed). I also do not make a spectacle of getting them out and just reach in and pick them up, taking the time to rub them with a hook or whatever generally just pisses them off.

Thank you for taking the time and sharing !

Very interesting indeed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (03-10-2017)

Thanks
    So Nymeria shed awhile ago, and I finally got new photos of her either earlier this week or late last week. She has visibly grown since the last time I took photos of her in my hand, which was in November. The last time I weighed her she was 442 grams I think. I'm going to weigh her again when she poops.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

She's gorgeous CtB. How long does it take them to reach maturity and full growth? Boas seem to grow quite a bit slower than many colubrids or pythons.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    She's gorgeous CtB. How long does it take them to reach maturity and full growth? Boas seem to grow quite a bit slower than many colubrids or pythons.
    It totally depends on how you feed them. If you power feed them you can get boas to breeding size before or by 2 years of age. They still won't be full sized for another several years though (if they live that long). Boas can reproduce before they reach their full adult size.

With the way I'm feeding mine, I expect my females to reach breeding size around 5-6 years old if not older. My males probably around 3 years, maybe 2.5 at the earliest. Just depends. Right now I only have one baby male but I do plan on adding more at some point.

At 5-6 I'm expecting maybe 6' of length, and it could take another 5-6 years for them to reach those big 7'-8' sizes (if they're meant to get that big). They might hit 7' before then but 8' would be a stretch if they ever reached it.

The same could be said for other species too though. I see a lot of retics 11'+ at 2 years but mine will be 3 in October and she's maybe 8' or a little over. I know another retic keeper who doesn't see full retic sizes until 5-6+ years. One of her retics was nearly 15' when she died (cancer), and she was conservatively fed very similarly to mine, and maintenance fed by her previous owners twice as long as mine was. River was maintenance fed for the first 6 months of her life (I'm talking a fuzzy mouse every 2 weeks when she should have been eating weaned rats), their's was maintenance fed for a year. Both were roughly 3' when we received them iirc. So yeah feeding has a lot to do with how fast a snake reaches adult sizes, within the confines of that species/localities' size potential.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    She's getting big. Gorgeous boa!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (03-17-2017)

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast